Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DOes it damage your ipod if you charge it and the same time play a game or listen to music?

I do use my ipod touch a lot of times.. Sometimes i charge it and leave the music turn on over night. Sometimes I keep on plalying a game and listening to music while it's charging. Will this damage my ipod in the long run????

iPod touch, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 2:05 PM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2012 3:40 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Question: How long can iPod's battery keep a charge without being used?
Answer: The standby time is 1 month when fully charged. After a month of not being used, the battery will likely be fully discharged. You may find that the battery is empty before then, and that's normal. Even when it's not being used, iPod uses a small amount of battery power.
Lithium-ion batteries need to be used for maximum performance. If you don't use your device often, be sure to complete a charge cycle at least once per month.

Above from:

iPod battery frequently asked questions (FAQ)

If you continuiously connect the iPod to a charger you are not using the battery.

Jan 11, 2012 4:40 PM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

Lithium-ion batteries need to be used for maximum performance. If you don't use your device often, be sure to complete a charge cycle at least once per month.

Now, let's consider what Apple means by "charge cycle." It does NOT mean fully (or almost fully) discharging the battery. I've owned an iPad for nearly two years. As a WAG, I'd say that I've gone through a hundred charge cycles without ever once discharging the battery.

"A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle."

The above is quoted from:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

lllaass wrote:

If you continuiously connect the iPod to a charger you are not using the battery.

That's correct but the OP did not state that this is done continuously. He/she repeatedly stated that he/she does this "sometimes."

DOes it damage your ipod if you charge it and the same time play a game or listen to music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.