Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create folders on ipad?

How do I create a folder on the iPad ?

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 2:59 PM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2015 5:29 PM in response to alanfromnewtownards

alanfromnewtownardsJan 11, 2012 4:33 PM
Re: How do I create folders on ipad?in response to Tonifromjtown

What is the folder for?

A folder in IOS is used for containing 2 or more similarly-functioning apps' icons. 😉

Note: The following is for IOS 9.1 on my iPad Mini (i.e., I don't know if this following procedure works for all previous IOS versions):

Once you've created a folder by dragging & holding a jiggling icon over another icon (preferably, a similarly-functioning app's icon), & you see a dark box appear surrounding both your jiggling icon you're holding onto & the one you've got it over, & you then let go of your jiggling icon, you'll see them both appear inside your new folder, & that new folder will have a default name, usually a name that's related to the types of apps you just put into that folder.

At this point, your new folder with the 2 icons inside of it is jiggling also. With that folder jiggling, tap on that folder's name, whatever it is, & a text-editing icon will show up in the text, wherever you tapped that text. You can now use backspace & all other keys to rename that folder.

Check out the screenshot I took of my own iPad Mini's new Home Screen. MUCH more organized than having icons of all different names & types spread over 4 or 5 or 6 scrollable screens!

Kevin Kendall

Happy Mac'in!

iPad Mini / 16GB / Cellular

MacBook Air "Core i7" 1.7GHz 11" (Early 2014) / 512GB SSD / 8GB RAM / El Capitan / Fusion 7 running Windows 7 Ultimate, 8 Pro, & 10

MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" (Mid-2010 The last of the all-white MBs) / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / El Capitan / Fusion 7 running Windows 7 Ultimate

User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2015 5:47 PM in response to kevinkendall

kevinkendall wrote:

A folder in IOS is used for containing 2 or more similarly-functioning apps' icons. 😉

Just an aside. The apps in a given folder do not have to have similar functions. That's just one possible organizational strategy. I have one folder with all the pre-installed apps that I never use and don't want cluttering things up. It includes Stocks, Voice Memo and Compass.

How do I create folders on ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.