Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No mic sound through lexicon alpha

time to turn to the community again.

i am trying to record ann acoustic guitar into garageband. if i allow the internal mic to record things it picks up the track and it can work. unfortunately i have a mic with phantom power running through a lexicon alpha that i would like to use as the quality would be much better.

this is where i am at. under preferences in garageband i go to the audio/midi tab and it shows the lexicon as the in and out source. on the garageband page itself it shows the lexicon as the input source. monitor can be off or on. unfortunately the recording level is grayed out all the way to the left. seems like the problem.

so i went to the utilities folder on the mac itself. audio midi setup. it shows under audio devices built in microphone, built in input, built in output, and lexicon alpha in/out 2in/2out. in this window i cannot adjust the volume level either. it has channel m,1, and 2, all pushed to the left. when i click on it, it appears to be 'grayed out' also. also, when i unplug the usb cord the mac realizes it instantly in garageband and asks if i want to switch to built in audio. so it knows it is there.

all of the pots on the front of the alpha are at 3 o'clock. when i plug in headphones, i can hear the guitar sound clearly it just is not getting from the alpha through the usb cable into garageband. i know it is probably an easy fix i just cannot figure out what i have checked/unchecked to cause this.

any and all wisdom is apreciated.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 3:47 PM

pensncrows wrote:

the recording level is grayed out all the way to the left. seems like the problem.

it is not:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#volumesliderdisabled

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

pensncrows wrote:

audio midi setup. [...] in this window i cannot adjust the volume level either.

same reason as above

pensncrows wrote:

on the garageband Track "i"nfo page itself it shows the lexicon as the input source.

what have you selected for the input source?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2012 3:47 PM in response to pensncrows

pensncrows wrote:

the recording level is grayed out all the way to the left. seems like the problem.

it is not:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#volumesliderdisabled

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

pensncrows wrote:

audio midi setup. [...] in this window i cannot adjust the volume level either.

same reason as above

pensncrows wrote:

on the garageband Track "i"nfo page itself it shows the lexicon as the input source.

what have you selected for the input source?

Jan 11, 2012 4:16 PM in response to HangTime

i read the comments about the disabled sliders. it makes sense.

i found the issue. in the input source it listed the lexicon alpha as the info source on the track "i"nfo page (thanks) but listed it as mono one. i was recording in mono so did not think anything of it but the lexicon has two mono inputs. the guitar usually goes into mono one and the mic is in mono two. so when i opened the tab, lo and behold, there was a mono 2. pushed it and my guitar is coming across crystal clear.

thanks for the help.

No mic sound through lexicon alpha

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.