Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Checkboxes in Pages?

Has anyone figured out how to insert checkboxes in Pages? I have a document with 'Yes'/'No' questions and I need checkboxes for responses.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 3:43 PM

30 replies

Nov 29, 2017 10:12 PM in response to Tered85

You could use the "Ballot box" character ☐

You'll find it in the Character Viewer, also labeled "Emoji and Symbols" in some versions of OS X ☐

It's Unicode character number U+2610 or UTF-8 number E2 98 90 ☐

Select it in the viewer, then double click to place it at the insertion point in your document. ☐

You can leave the viewer open, to do multiple insertions using the same method, or you can select and copy the first one inserted, then paste it into new locations. (you can also copy it from here and paste it into your document).

You may find it necessary to enlarge the ballot box to make it a closer match to the upper case letters in your font.

Regards,

Barry

May 8, 2012 1:32 PM in response to fruhulda

Do you want check boxes that you can check and uncheck like it is in AppleWork? Pages doesn't have it.

Ah! Another gaping hole in the Appleworks --> iWorks transition.

EVERYTIME I try to convert one of my Appleworks files to iWorks it fails. What a looser program. If Apple can't take all the features of Appleworks and put them in iWorks then they shouldn't be shoving me off the Rosetta cliff as they are doing with their push to iCloud!

'Nuf said!

May 9, 2012 3:18 AM in response to RandyChev

Ah! Another gaping hole in the Appleworks --> iWorks transition. EVERYTIME I try to convert one of my Appleworks files to iWorks it fails. What a looser program. If Apple can't take all the features of Appleworks...

I don't think Apple promised to duplicate every feature of AppleWorks in the iWork apps or that the transition would be simple and not require different ways of working.

If you can't convert any of your AppleWorks documents to useful Pages documents you should continue to use AppleWorks. For example, dowload a virtual machine like VMWare Fusion, install Mac OS X 10.6 and AppleWorks and continue using your AppleWorks documents.

May 9, 2012 3:50 AM in response to Dale Gillard

I don't think Apple promised to duplicate every feature of AppleWorks in the iWork apps or that the transition would be simple and not require different ways of working.

I never said they promised they would. I just think a program from the same company meant to be a replacement in this day and age of larger memory and faster processors should not remove features.

If you can't convert any of your AppleWorks documents to useful Pages documents you should continue to use AppleWorks. For example, dowload a virtual machine like VMWare Fusion, install Mac OS X 10.6 and AppleWorks and continue using your AppleWorks documents.

I have tried this. It isn't supported by Apple or VMware. I've tried one non-supported method with no luck. I'd love to hear of a way to do this since it WOULD solve my problem. Even better if it came from Apple allowing us longtime customers to continue using our legacy programs while we transition to a Rosetta-less system. But right now I'd take it from anybody.

BTW, the other kick-in-the-head fact of this push to iCloud for us longtime Apple users is that Windows Vista users have an iCloud option provided by Apple. Snow Leopard users do not. REALLY?!!!!!

May 9, 2012 10:04 AM in response to RandyChev

RandyChev wrote:

Do you want check boxes that you can check and uncheck like it is in AppleWork? Pages doesn't have it.

Ah! Another gaping hole in the Appleworks --> iWorks transition.

Checkable checkboxes may be placed in a Numbers table.

Pages is a word processing and page layout application. I'd be interested in learning the method you used to insert a (checkable) checkbox into an AW word processing document.

Regards,

Barry

May 9, 2012 6:49 PM in response to Jeff Shenk

Jeff Shenk wrote: "Actually, Barry, AppleWorks did offer a checkable checkbox as a bullet option for lists in word processing."

Thanks for that Jeff. I opened AW and checked, and realized I had seen that before (many years ago). I rejected it at the time due to the size of the boxes relative to the text in the list, and promptly forgot about their availability.

After that I used the Checkbox field type in the AW database quite often (and still do with the one DB that keeps me using AppleWorks), but never again (until today) even looked at the checkboxes in the word processor module.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 7, 2012 1:33 PM in response to Shabab28

My signature is an image file that I made a number of years ago using a font made from my handwriting. That font no longer functions in the newer versions of OS X. I think I did it in an AppleWorks draw docutment & added a shadow & exported it as an image. I probably saved it as a PICT & then made a transparent .gif file in GraphicConverter. Now I have it as a transparent .png.

User uploaded file

Checkboxes in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.