Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix this error? The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

Hey guys,

I am trying to install windows 7 ultimate 64 bit via bootcamp assistant. I open bootcamp assistant from utilities and i get the second window and try to click continue and i get a pop up, saying "The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extneded (journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows." I looked around on the internet, i found that my internal HD must be set to OS Extended (Journaled). I went into disk utility and i clicked partition tab and the option was set to OS extended (journaled). Any ideas on how to overcome this error so i can install windows 7?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 5:04 PM

2 replies

Jan 12, 2012 9:34 AM in response to abhakti826

Error is:

1: common

2: misleading and poorly worded

3: space must be:

A: contiguous, that means unfragmented and in ONE section, not multiple

B: files cannot be loced, anchored or in such a manner as to prevent or block partition operation

C: to move, unlock and shuffle files requires booting from another drive or device

Shrink the HFS+ volume by as much or more than you need to set aside to use

If that does not,

Try iDefrag from another hard drive or by burning and using its own CD that is just for consolidating free space

Clone your system (should have backups already, clone is just bootable)

Erase and restore from clone - SuperDuper does consolidate files and free space and result in unfragmented (99% success rate)

None of which has to do iwth what that error message says. This error has been almost a daily threat topic - has gotten less but has not "gone away."

How to fix this error? The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.