Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy iPhoto keywords from one library to another

I have over 30 iPhoto Libraries. Managing them is great using iPhoto Library, but keyword management is awful (if iPLM has a way I haven't found it). I would like to know how to copy keywords from one library to another. It's a pain to have to continually doing manual setup.

In advance, THANKS! 🙂

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 12:23 AM

Select one photo. Add all the keywords to it. Move that to the next library with Library Manager. All the keywords will travel with it.

Why do you have more than 30 Libraries? iPhoto is good for 250,000 images in any one Library. With 30 Libraries 29 of them are unavailable, unsearchable and inaccessible at any one time.

Regards

TD

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2012 12:23 AM in response to sp_64

Select one photo. Add all the keywords to it. Move that to the next library with Library Manager. All the keywords will travel with it.

Why do you have more than 30 Libraries? iPhoto is good for 250,000 images in any one Library. With 30 Libraries 29 of them are unavailable, unsearchable and inaccessible at any one time.

Regards

TD

Jan 12, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks, Terence! I knew you'd come through for me!!! 😉 It never occurred to me to assign all the keywords to a single photo. You're brillant! Thanks!!

As for my massive list of libraries... it all started because my iPhoto Library was reaching 100 GB and I needed to split it. In talking with my family, the desire was to group photos by year and others by "category" (birthdays, Christmas, sport, etc). Within each I have events and albums

I also have different Libraries for extended-family, each family with their own library. That way they don't clutter up my libraries.

If you have a better solution, please share!

Thanks,

SP

Jan 12, 2012 12:45 PM in response to sp_64

With that many photos you might consider using one of the high end DAM (digital asset management) applications. I use Media Pro 1. It uses catalogs of thumbnails that are linked to the photos on your hard drive, CDs or wherever. A single catalog can hold 250,000 images. It uses Catalog Sets like Events in iPhoto. There are Categories which are like albums in iPhoto. Those and Catalog Sets are virtual. You can batch rename files once in the catalog either by date or text. The folders holding the photos on the hard drive can be set up auto update in the catalog so when you add a photo to the folder it will appear in the catalog. You can add keywords, hierarchical keywords, descriptions, etc. and write them back to the original file.

It has some built in editing capability and versioning capability. Clicking on a keyword will display all photos with that keyword quickly. Searches can be made across multiple catalogs and have the results displayed in a new catalog.

I use it as my primary DAM and iPhoto for special projects like books, etc. The catalogs can be viewed and keywords, descriptions added, etc. without the original files being available. You just can't do any editing, slideshows or anything that requires the full sized file.

OT

Jan 12, 2012 1:29 PM in response to sp_64

The size of the Library in GB doesn't matter if you have enough disk space. It's the number of images in the Library. We've seen people on here with Libraries in excess of 180,000 images. And remember, you can run a Library from an external disk too.

Alternatives: Media Pro 1 as OT says, or Aperture is quite similar to iphoto but much more powerful.

Regards

TD

How to copy iPhoto keywords from one library to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.