Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime 7 keeps crashing and saying 'Some of your Quicktime software is out of date. You can fix this problem by updating to the latest version.'

Itunes doesn't work because of quicktime keeps crashing. I can't open .mov files because Quicktime doesn't work.

PROOF!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Itunes:

User uploaded file

Quicktime Player:

User uploaded file

Quicktime-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 1:21 AM

12 replies

Jan 12, 2012 12:56 PM in response to nathantts

That's consistent with another application (other than QuickTime itself) having stashed old QuickTime componentry down in your system files.

So we'll go looking for the older QuickTime componentry in the most common locations for it to be stashed.

First we'll need to change some view settings.

In your Start menu, open Computer.
In your Organise menu, select Folder Options.
In the View tab, make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected, and Hide extensions for known file types is unchecked.
Click OK.

Now in Computer, open your C:\ drive (or whichever drive you have your operating system installed on).
Open the "Windows" folder.
If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, open the "System32" folder.
If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, open the "SysWOW64" folder.

What files and folders can you see in there with QuickTime in the title? (In a standard installation of Quicktime you should be seeing precisely two files ... QuickTime.qts and QuickTimeVR.qtx ... and no QuickTime folders whatsoever.)

Mar 19, 2014 10:21 AM in response to b noir

Hi, I have a similar problem. I'm using 64-bit version of 7.

Everytime I open QuickTIme Player, it shows me as the picture below.

And in my "SysWOW64", it has the exact 2 files that you've mentioned.

So what should I do next?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: QuickTimePlayer.exe

Application Version: 7.75.80.95

Application Timestamp: 52d46e6d

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 17417

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

User uploaded file

Mar 19, 2014 6:07 PM in response to rynx93

Okay.

It's being fairly cryptic in the problem report, so we'll be doing basic principles troubleshooting.

Can you check something for me please? I'd like to try launching QuickTime by doing a run as an administrator.

In Computer, open Local Disk C:\ or whichever drive you've got your program files installed on.

If you have a 32-bit Windows, open the Program Files folder.

If you have a 64-bit Windows, open the Program Files (x86) folder.

Open the QuickTime folder.

Right-click on the QuickTimePlayer.exe file and select "Run as administrator".

Does the QuickTime Player launch without the error?

Mar 19, 2014 6:27 PM in response to rynx93

🙂 excellent news!

We can make that workaround more permanent for you, if you like.

Right-click on the QuickTimePlayer.exe again, but this time select "Properties". In the "Compatibility" tab, check the "Run as an administrator" box, and click OK. (From now on, when you launch QuickTime normally, it should do a "Run as administrator".)

Quicktime 7 keeps crashing and saying 'Some of your Quicktime software is out of date. You can fix this problem by updating to the latest version.'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.