Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repairing or Rebuilding and iPhoto Library

I just imported an iPhoto database into a new Aperture database. About 18,000 items and faces and such.

Is it a good practice to repair or rebuild a newly imported iPhoto Library?

Also, is there a difference between the repair permissions command in Aperture and the repair permissions command in Disk Utility?

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 5:53 AM

The "repair permissions" feature of Aperture is more specific to Aperture, so if you need to repair permissions in your Library, use Aperture.

Aperture's Repair: (from the maual)

To repair the permissions of the files within your Aperture library: Select Repairing Permissions.

This option should be used when Aperture can’t access some of the image files within the database or Aperture is unable to open the library itself. The Repairing Permissions option reviews each file in your Aperture library and sets the read and write access of each file where appropriate, allowing Aperture to access the files again.

About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1452

But don't fix anything that isn't broken. Importing should not corrupt your permissions, only if you experience any problems accessing your data. Are there any symptons, or why are you asking?

Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2012 5:53 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

The "repair permissions" feature of Aperture is more specific to Aperture, so if you need to repair permissions in your Library, use Aperture.

Aperture's Repair: (from the maual)

To repair the permissions of the files within your Aperture library: Select Repairing Permissions.

This option should be used when Aperture can’t access some of the image files within the database or Aperture is unable to open the library itself. The Repairing Permissions option reviews each file in your Aperture library and sets the read and write access of each file where appropriate, allowing Aperture to access the files again.

About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1452

But don't fix anything that isn't broken. Importing should not corrupt your permissions, only if you experience any problems accessing your data. Are there any symptons, or why are you asking?

Léonie

Jan 12, 2012 6:40 AM in response to léonie

I just finished the import and Aperture just finished creating Thumbnails. So it's too early to tell is there are any issues.

This is not my Library. I'm doing this for someone who wants to move to Aperture from iPhoto. So I'm handling the import and doing some cleaning and organizing before I hand it back to the owner.

I was just wondering if there it's generally a good idea to do any of these functions when you do a new, big import. If not, I won't.

However, after I hand the Library back to the original user, should I then run Aperture's Repair Permissions? The order for this was:

- Copy iPhoto library from one user/computer to another user/computer.

- Import iPhoto library into a new Aperture library on new user/computer.

- Organize new Aperture library.

- Copy new Aperture library back to original user/computer.

Jan 12, 2012 9:14 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

However, after I hand the Library back to the original user, should I then run Aperture's Repair Permissions? The order for this was:

Are you doing this tranfer from your own account? Then you will need some kind of permissions repair after you hand the library back to the original owner.

The problem: If you import working from your own user account, all imported images will belong to you as owner, not to your friend. All permissions refer to owner, groups, others. Any permission fix you do before you return the library will only effect the current owner, not your friend.

When you return the library to your friend, and place it into a folder on your friend's system, then change the ownership back, using your friend's account:

Open a Terminal (from Applications-> Utilities) and type:

chown -R $LOGNAME directory

directory is the path to the Aperture Library.

the simplest way to enter the path is:

First type "chown -R $LOGNAME " (including the blank), then drag the Aperture Library into the Terminal Window. This will expand the path to the Library, hit "return".

This command will change the ownership of all files inside the Library back to your friend's.

It may be necessary to do that with the prefix "sudo "; this will ensure Administrator rights, and you will be prompted for your password.

If there are still remaining permissions issues, then you can run "repair permissions".

Regards

Léonie

Repairing or Rebuilding and iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.