Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy photos from failing G4

My brothers G4 10.4 Tiger is failing (logic board/power supply???). I know I can copy the ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library folder or export all the photos directly from iPhoto to an external HD.

But if he were to get a new Mac, what would be the best method of backup from the G4>external HD so the photos could then be imported into iPhoto on the new Mac.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2, 21.5, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 12G Ram, AppleTV2, iPhone4, Airport

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 8:09 AM

The best route:

Copy the iPhoto Library Folder to an External. Copy it as a single item.

Then when you get the new machine, copy the iPhoto Library to the Picures Folder on the new mac. Don't import it just copy it there.

Then launch iPhoto.

Regards

TD

5 replies

Jan 12, 2012 8:31 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

Then when you get the new machine, copy the iPhoto Library to the Picures Folder on the new mac. Don't import it just copy it there.

Then launch iPhoto.

When copying back to new Mac, do I copy the iPhoto Library Folder to the Picture Folder, because on my old G4 there is no iPhoto Library file within the iPhoto Library Folder. Only "Library.iPhoto" Hope that makes sense.

Jan 12, 2012 8:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

Correct. Inside the ~/Pictures Folder is iPhoto Library Folder. So that same folder will be copied back to the new Macs Picture Folder.

I ask only because on my Lion machine there is only the iPhoto Library in which you need to show the package contents. So I'm assuming the iPhoto that will come with Lion will do all the nessasary updates to the folder.

copy photos from failing G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.