Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to get audio files, now as .m4a, but I can change the suffix as necessary, from my desktop to I Tunes. When I drag the file to a page of I Tunes, it shows a plus ( ) sign but is not added to I Tunes. What do I have to do to transfer?

I'm trying to get audio files, now as .m4a, but I can change the suffix as necessary, from my desktop to I Tunes. When I drag the file to a page of I Tunes, it shows a plus ( +) sign but is not added to I Tunes. What do I have to do to transfer?

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 12:15 PM

3 replies

Jan 12, 2012 3:02 PM in response to Limnos

Initially they were .aup files. I had transferred them from a cassette tape by Audacity, which gave them this .apu designation, "tag," right?

Each time I go to transfer these files, by dragging from my desktop to an open I Tunes pages, Ithe file bounces back.

If I click on one of the files, instead of trying to transfer, I get

message 1: couldn't find the project data folder

message 2: could not load file

Now what? And thanks for your help

Dennis

Jan 12, 2012 3:13 PM in response to driscoll14

.aup is an Audacity project file and I suspect is pretty specific to Audacity. You need to convert your files to a format iTunes can read. If you can convert directly to AAC with Audacity that would be fastest, otherwise save as AIFF which iTunes can read, then convert with iTunes.

dot-something is an extension, not a tag. A tag is an invisible bit of data in a media file that contains information such as artist, title, etc. An extension provides information to the computer as to which programs can open a file. Simply changing the extension does not change the file and can only confuse an application if it thinks it can open a file but once it tries it only sees meaningless data.

I'm glad you found your own post "helpful" and marked it as such. 😉

I'm trying to get audio files, now as .m4a, but I can change the suffix as necessary, from my desktop to I Tunes. When I drag the file to a page of I Tunes, it shows a plus ( ) sign but is not added to I Tunes. What do I have to do to transfer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.