Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What files?

I need to format my machine and reinstalled. What files do I need to backup in order to be able to sync my iPhone after the install and not be required to reinstall all my data?

Basically, in the past when I have formatted I just saved my general media. Upon Windows reinstall, iTunes reinstall and trying to sync I am told that I have never synced the device before and all music/games must be removed, also removing save data and folder configuration.

It's sad that choses to do this. They sacrifice the honest users to protect themselves from the dishonest.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 2:17 PM

6 replies

Jan 12, 2012 2:51 PM in response to Pyro2008

By design, the iPhone will sync itunes content with one computer at a time. Any attempt to sync such content with a second computer will result in ALL itunes content being first erased from your phone & then replaced with the content from the second computer. This is a design feature and cannot be overridden. Because you formatted your hard drive, your phone will see this as a "new" computer. The itunes content sync is one way: computer to phone. If you have photos that were synced to your phone or music ripped on your own that were not backed up, you will first have to extract them from your phone using third party software, before you do anything else, as Apple makes no provision to do so:

Once you've done that, do the following in the order specified:

1. Disable auto sync when an iPod/iPhone is connected under Preferences>Devices in itunes(under the edit menu if using Windows).

2. Make sure you have one contact & one event in the supported applications on your computer. These entries can be fake, doesn't matter, the important point is that these programs not be empty.

3. Connect your phone, iTunes running, do not sync at this point.

4. Store>Authorize this computer.

5. File>Transfer Purchases(To make sure all purchased content on your phone will be in your itunes library).

6. Right click in the device pane & select reset warnings.

7. Right click again and select backup.

8. Right click again & select restore from backup, select the backup you just made. When prompted to create another backup, decline.

9. This MUST be followed by a sync to restore your itunes content, which you select from the various tabs, You'll get a popup regarding your contacts & calendars asking to merge or replace, select merge.

You should be good to go.

Jan 12, 2012 3:08 PM in response to wjosten

You did not appear to understand my question.

I am not trying to sync to another computer and have not yet formatted. I am asking which files need to be backed up so that I can reinstall an not have icrap tell me that the iPhone is synced with another computer. 1 phone, 1 computer

I already understand that Apple is short sighted, ignorant and careless... err only lets you sync to one computer at a time. 🙂

Jan 12, 2012 3:52 PM in response to wjosten

After what response? Does the fact that I don't care for Apple as a company offend you?

Sorry I hurt your feelings... although...

Can you explain to me why you posted a wall of irrelevant information if you understood the question? I suspect that you did not understand and therefore have nothing to offer. I was coming here for a quick answer while I work but guess I will dig around google.

As far as the lost or erased comment... could happen at any time with Apple products. What do you do when an iPhone isn't working right? Restore it as new! Now that's data loss for you.

Anything else to say?

Jan 12, 2012 4:24 PM in response to Pyro2008

You say you are going to reformat your hard drive and reinstall your operating system. This will make your computer appear as a new computer that has never been syncronized with your phone. At the least, you would need to save an iTunes file. Any document files that you may use on the phone. Contacts are usually in a seperate program so you would want those. I don't know that you can sync your phone after a hard drive reformat and make the phone think that it is still the "old" computer. At best, all I can think of is to put all the files back on the drive in the same folder paths that they were in and hope that your phone sees them as they were.

Jan 12, 2012 4:36 PM in response to kb1951

Yes, this is basically what I found just now from googling. Copying the iTunes folder and replacing it after reinstall supposedly does work. I would assume though that it does some kind of hardware check, possibly.

Still not sure which file specifically is needed though. My library is split, media and iTunes organization on my NAS and settings on the actual computer. That would make even more sense for them to be split if the files are specific to this computer.

I am going to mess around with it in a virtual environment and see what happens.

Thanks

What files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.