10 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2012 7:50 AM by JonnySuzieQ
gmjohns3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have an older white macbook and my mom has a newer silver macbook pro and I recently logged onto my iCloud account because I wanted my contacts to stop duplicating on my iPhone. I figured out that the contacts needed to be in iCloud... however my newest contacts are in Address Book and I can't figure out how to back up my computer to iCloud as well so everything is all in one place. However, if I go into the System Preferences there is no iCloud under internet and network. How do I get iCloud for my macbook?? I really need the duplicate contacts to stop! Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?
    Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (226,765 points)

Are you running Lion 10.7.2? It's a requirement to have iCloud.

• 2. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?
    Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (81,980 points)

Your macbook likely doesn't have an iCloud preference because it isn't running Lion.

On the matter of duplicates:

Does your iPhone use both iCloud and iTunes for syncing contacts.

• 3. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?

I'm running 10.5.8 but my software is up to date and everything. Do I have to purchase additional software for that? And if so... I'm pretty sure I would be able to get the new software for my mom's macbook pro. However, I have a macbook that I bought in 2006 or 2007 so it's a good few years old... Can I then get the newer software to have iCloud for my older macbook or is the newer software not available to older macbooks?

• 4. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?
    Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (226,765 points)

First you would need to install Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or later, then you can purchase and download Lion from the App Store. You cannot use discs from your mom's MBP as they are specific to that hardware and will not work on yours. You can purchase a Snow Leopard DVD at any Apple retailer or from the Online Store for $29.00. Lion will cost $30.00. Optionally you can purchase the Apple USB flash drive Lion installer for $69.00. You cannot upgrade your Leopard system with it, but you can erase the drive and do a fresh installation of Lion.

Your computer must meet the minimum hardware requirements:

Lion System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
    • 2GB of memory
    • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
    • 7GB of available space
    • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
  • 5. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?

In regards to the duplicates... It's only duplicating because most of the newer contacts that I added were after iCloud became available. So they weren't on my phone before starting to use iCloud. So the newer contacts aren't in iCloud and I have to sync my contacts from my computer to get all of them on my phone, thus creating duplicates (or linked cards). So in iphone under groups I have All Contacts and then "From my mac" and "iCloud." In any case... it *****.

Also... on my macbook I use my iCal to add events and move around appointments and then they don't get changed around on my iPhone. Plus, a lot of my calendar events got duplicated as well. Please help!

• 6. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?
    Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (81,980 points)

If your macbook isn't running iCloud, their seems little point in syncing contacts and calendars, turn them off and sync all your contacts and calendars via iTunes.

• 7. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?
    meganjane Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Well what a load of @#$% that is! Why should I buy Lion for my MacBook? It should be free. I knew iCloud was a dud.

• 8. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?
    stedman1 Level 9 Level 9 (52,220 points)

"Well what a load of @#$% that is! Why should I buy Lion for my MacBook? It should be free. I knew iCloud was a dud."

Fortunately, if you live in a democratic country, you don't have to buy Lion.

Stedman

• 9. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?
    meganjane Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I don't? Swell, I just went to download it and I didnt see any free option unless I had purchased my Mac after July 2011...

• 10. Re: Why doesn't my macbook have iCloud?
    JonnySuzieQ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Dude. Nothing is free. Where have you been? If you want to have access to the best tools on the planet, you need to pay for them. iCloud is a perk for being willing to fork out the cash needed to have the system that can handle it. It is a totally sweet product, and these guys a worthy of their hire. Be willing to compensate for the gazillion hours it took to create something that you can enjoy.