Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cintiq 24HD as third monitor

Hello,

I am new to the forums, and would like some help.

My set up is as follows:

2010 Mac Pro 2x2.4 Quad-Core Intel Xeon - Running Lion

12GB 1066 MHz DDR3

2TB HD

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB Graphics

Displays:

27" LED Cinema Display

24" Acer HD Monitor (HDMI - Minidisplay port connector)

Cintiq 24HD (Monitor Tablet)

----------------------

Now the problem!!

I recently purchased the Cintiq 24HD in hopes it could be used as a third monitor for my studio. I was told it should work directly, and just to plug it into the computer next to the two minidisplay ports and it should work. but when all three are connected, the Cintiq won't recognize. I can only switch between the cintiq and my second monitor by unplugging the Acer HDMI connector, but i want to use all three at once and it won't let me. Supposedly the HD5770 is powerful enough to support these three monitors / tablet.... Could anyone shed any light on the situation? Do I need to buy a seperate adapter? Please help!!! Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 7:35 PM

Supposedly the HD5770 is powerful enough to support these three monitors

Well not quite. Read these:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Pro (Early 2009): Issues with three displays and multiple DVI, HDMI connections

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac Pro (Mid 2010): Supported display configurations

Basically two of the connections need active adapters to supply the additional power. It's up to you to juggle your various connections and what active and possibly passive adapter combinations you want to use for the three connections.

What kind of connection does that Cintiq 24HD want?

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2012 7:35 PM in response to PhineDesign

Supposedly the HD5770 is powerful enough to support these three monitors

Well not quite. Read these:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Pro (Early 2009): Issues with three displays and multiple DVI, HDMI connections

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac Pro (Mid 2010): Supported display configurations

Basically two of the connections need active adapters to supply the additional power. It's up to you to juggle your various connections and what active and possibly passive adapter combinations you want to use for the three connections.

What kind of connection does that Cintiq 24HD want?

Jan 12, 2012 8:03 PM in response to PhineDesign

Never mind. Found the specs for that Cintiq 24HD. The key items are it wants DisplayPort, DVI, or VGA and has a max resolution of 1,920 x 1,200.

So, thinking out loud, the possibilities are you need to get active adapters for one remaining mini-displayport (mDP's) and the DVI port since I would consider the mDP to the 27" out of the running and not to be touched. The two "players" in this are your HDMI monitor and the Cintiq.

So before proceding further I would need to know how do you desire the Cintiq to be connected? Would its VGA be sufficient or do you want DVI or Displayport?

Jan 12, 2012 10:31 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

At the moment he has a (passive) mDP-to-HDMI tying up his one remaining mDP. The Cintiq can use displayport or DVI or VGA. But I think no matter how these two displays are connected somehow the requirement of two active adapters needs to be satisfied somehow. I think he already tried directly connecting all three and it didn't work.

Thinking out loud again...

If VGA is chosen for the Cintiq then of course connecting a mDP-to-VGA adapter (well, at least apple's) counts as one active adapter. Then an active adapter would need to be found for the active DVI-to-HDMI connection. Last time I looked that was problematic (or expensive). Would just using the single VGA adapter work? I don't know.

An active mDP-to-HDMI might work for the HDMI (one from the "AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles" table). Is that sufficient to allow the Cintiq to directly connect to the DVI port? Again I don't know. But probably adding another one of those adapters from the "AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles" table would be sufficient.

If the HDMI connection was to a TV I wouldn't hesitate to recommend what I've recommended in similar posts, i.e., active mDP adapter for a monitor and the (active) DVI/SPDIF converter box for the DVI port. But that's not the case here. It would work here, ignoring the audio, but it seems like a bit of a waste.

Jan 12, 2012 11:04 PM in response to PhineDesign

Thanks for the responses.

Currently the set up is as follows:

CinemaDisplay -> mDP (Port 1)

Acer 24" HDMI -> HDMI mDP Adapter (Port 2)

Cintiq 24HD -> Direct DVI (Only DVI Port)

So all 3 are taken up.

And Only The Monitor and Cinema Display show up or are detected.

Knowing all three are already filled, one with mDP, another adapter mDP, and the DVI, are there any other possibilities? I was told it is possible. thanks again.

EDIT: (I should note, that when I unplug the Acer Monitor HDMI mDP, the Cintiq is then recognized and it switches to it....So it's not a compatibility issue I dont think)

Jan 12, 2012 11:43 PM in response to PhineDesign

The "AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles" table doesn't show any active HDMI adapters. I said that was problematic above. I also said I don't know if you could get away with only using a single active adapter. You may just have to do that experiment.

A couple of choices are the following:

DVI-D Single Link Male to HDMI® Female adapter

Passive adapter to plug you HDMI into your DVI port.

Accell B087B-006B UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Single-Link Active Adapter

This is on the Eyefinity table an is a active adapter to connect your Cintiq to your mDP. And looking at the picture of the Accell it is a male DVI plug so I think you also need a DVI coupler (gender changer) since I assume your Cintiq has a male DVI plug.

DVI Coupler (Female to Female)

As I said this is only considered an "experiment" since only one active adapter is being used. At least it would answer the question about whether there's enough power with this setup. If not then you need to figure out how to handle that DVI-to-HDMI connection with some kind of active adapter.

You should be able to see what's going on here. It's sort of a a big "game". You think up one set of requirments. Do a whole lot of google searches to find out what's out there and if you can't find stuff to satisfy that set of requirements, think up some other set of alternatives, and try, try, again.

This was the technique I used and how I originally stumbled upon that DVI/SPDIF converter box. I've since discovered that box is sold by a lot of online sources. The only difference is each slaps a different decal on the top!

Note that given the setup I just descibed, if the single Accell B087B-006B isn't sufficient you may just have to consider that box since it will count as an active adapter for the HDMI connection. It does for me (I use it for my TV), with my other "active" adapter being a (apple) mDP-to-VGA adapter to a 17" VGA monitor. Other mDP is of course connected to my 27" ACD.

Aug 6, 2013 11:15 AM in response to PhineDesign

Hi X423424X and PhineDesign,

I wanted to ask if you guys found a solution to your problem (Its been a year I know 😝)
I want to ask if a Mackbook pro 15 with thunderbolt port can be simultaneously connected to a Apple 27" Cinema Display and a Wacom Cintique 24HD while keeping the MacBook's display on as well....

I just couldn't find an answer to this anywhere Please help 😟

Mar 8, 2014 9:06 AM in response to PhineDesign

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same exact problem except with a Cintiq 13HD (HDMI port). I have the same GPU as you, same amount of ports..

Two Dell 24" LEDs hooked up.

1 mDP to DVI adapter

1 directly to DVI

Cintiq hooked up mDP to HDMI adapter

No such luck. Only two power at the same time when all 3 are plugged in. If I unplug one of the monitors, the Cintiq powers on, just like yours.

Would love to know how you ended up solving your problem! 🙂

Cintiq 24HD as third monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.