Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not showing files

This evening I double-clicked a folder that contained numerous files. The folder opened, but the spinning gear kept spinning and the files in it did not appear. I tried viewing it in both list and icon view with no results.

Later, I clicked the arrow next to one of my folders in list view that contained images so that it was downward pointing, and yet no files appeared, nor did opening it show any files (same spinning gear).

This Mac is barely a month old. Is Lion buggy or is there already some maintenance routine I need to run?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 10:52 PM

Notoriously slow Finder updating mechanism. When this occurs, OPTION-click & hold the Finder's Dock icon and select Relaunch. That'll force it to update itself. If that fixes the issue, file a bug report with Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html.

10 replies

Jan 30, 2012 7:48 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

I've also got this problem. I need to restart Finder to get it out of this apparent loop. (Hadn't realised there was a Relaunch option.) I also sometimes discover that files I have just saved to the Desktop aren't visible there and don't show when I navigate to the Desktop within the Finder hierarchy. The restart (and I assume relaunch) fixes this.

Dec 6, 2012 8:30 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

I am having this problem right now. A folder on my external hard drive which I was just editing, shows 60gb.

Lots of files and folders in it.

Now showing nothing in it.

Still says size is 60gb, but when I open it, the files do not show.

What is going on?

I tried the fix above a few times, it did not work.

If you can help me with this, it would a huge help.

Thank you.

ps. in mountain lion, late 2011 mac.

Jan 1, 2013 6:16 PM in response to Benway1

Much thanks Benway1,

After enabling the viewing of hidden files I discovered folder ~/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache which had 6.1GB of files!! It turns out dropbox has its own recycle bin (trash) so the issue for me luckily was different.

I was myself confused as I had been moving pictures around and in my last action I wasn't sure of the folders sizes so I assumed it was not being shown properly by finder.

As a precaution I double checked the list of files in dropbox trash and found them all in my backup drive.

It was a good learning experience!

Thanks again,

May 31, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

I have had the exact same problem these last few days making it impossible to do any work - cannot get at files or attach them in emails, upload them etc.

But I found this post: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/135379/finder-does-not-show-files-in-fo lders

and doing this worked:

Running

mkdir ${TMPDIR}/com.apple.IconServices
in Terminal solved the problem immediately.

Suddenly all my files appear again. I hope this continues.

May 31, 2015 7:22 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

I have had the exact same problem these last few days making it impossible to do any work - cannot get at files or attach them in emails, upload them etc.

But I found this post: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/135379/finder-does-not-show-files-in-fo lders

and doing this worked:

Running

mkdir ${TMPDIR}/com.apple.IconServices
in Terminal solved the problem immediately.

Suddenly all my files appear again. I hope this continues.

Finder not showing files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.