Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I burn file name information into a picture?

Hi all,

I have a job coming up where I'll need to burn some information into the bottom of a picture - file name, time of day, and perhaps some other metadata.

I'll be batch exporting 1,000s of stills (RAW to TIFF - this is for a stop motion animation job), so would love to find a quick automated way of doing this.

Many thanks in advance,

Al

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 9:56 PM

5 replies

Jan 12, 2012 10:25 PM in response to Al Sinclair

User uploaded file

Try the free BorderFX plug-in:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/aperture/apertureborderfx.html?cmp, available for download directly from the Aperture -> plug-in menu.

This plug-in offers many options to place IPTC and EXIF annotations onto the border of an image.

After installing the edit plug-in, you use by selecting the image to be edited in its project (not album!) and choosing "Photo-> Edit with Plug-in" -> BorderFX"

Regards

Léonie

Jan 12, 2012 11:32 PM in response to Al Sinclair

Al, do you need a very high image quality, or do you need the annotated images for web representation with lower resolution? If you can do with a medium quality, you could use the build in "Web Page" or "Smart Web Page" to create annotated html images for thousands of images at once.

• Select your images
  • New -> Webpage (or Smart Web Page)
  • Set a Theme, select Metadata presets
  • Export Web Pages (you will get html overviews and single, annotated Slideshow images, called large-1.html, large-2.html, ...)

You still would have to find a way to convert html to jpeg or another image format.

The annotation can be anything you can reveal in metadata presets in the Inspector.

Here is an example: The metadata presets are selected using the little badge icon. To add the filename is easy, for the path you will need to add the path to a metadata tag using "batch change" - e.g. the comment tag.

User uploaded file

Jan 13, 2012 1:40 AM in response to léonie

Hello again,

Once again a good suggestion, but I don't think it's going to work for me.

My aim with getting the filenames on is to export them and make a QuickTime image sequence from them to use in Final Cut Pro. Then later on in the process I'd be able to match the frames back to their original RAW file for finishing off.

Don't suppose you know of any non-Aperture software that can batch convert RAW and burn in extra info???

Thanks again...

Can I burn file name information into a picture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.