Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The end of my charger is stuck in my MacBook

Hi, my charger has broken in two and is stuck inside the MacBook.

I can charge the laptop by putting the rest of the charger back into the socket but when I take it out part of the charger remains in the laptop.

The magnet is really strong and I can't get it out, any ideas?

Here's a picture to show you what I mean

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 9:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2017 6:13 PM

I know this was a long time ago, but it just happened to me and my dad literally took a long skinny knife and was able to pop out the magnet because it does not go in too far. Luckily, nothing broke and my computer was old anyway. Obviously the safer option is to go to an apple store, but as a last resort this method worked for me. Just be careful!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2017 6:13 PM in response to adamworthy2002

I know this was a long time ago, but it just happened to me and my dad literally took a long skinny knife and was able to pop out the magnet because it does not go in too far. Luckily, nothing broke and my computer was old anyway. Obviously the safer option is to go to an apple store, but as a last resort this method worked for me. Just be careful!

May 11, 2012 10:09 AM in response to adamworthy2002

The metal piece that came off is pressed into the end of the charger cord and glued with something akin to crazy glue. There are two small pins at the proximal and distal end that align it and hold it in place at the end of the cord. This part is the target of the magnet in the MacBook.

Policies at the genius bar have been liberalized over issues of power adapter safety. It is now easier to get broken power adapters replaced, even if not under warranty. It is not an automatic replacement, but ask them before you knock yourself out doing a home-made repair job.

Remember that Apple wants you to be a happy customer. Be professional and cordial and keep your composure. Customers who come in angry and ready to sue everybody will never be happy customers, so they get nothing.

The end of my charger is stuck in my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.