Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old version of Mail after 10.6.7->.8 upgrade

After upgrading from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 Mail doesn't work; it says "You can't use this version of Mail with this version of Mac OS X"... that it is version 4.4. Not sure why the upgrade missed it... it also left quite a lot of apps unusable (that need Rosetta) but Mail is the important issue at the moment. I presume trying to reinstall Mail from the DVD (10.6.7) wouldn't help... I don't want to try things randomly because I would rather not loose the stored mail messages and settings. What should I do? If Mail and Rosetta didn't upgrade properly does that mean I should suspect other things have gone wrong with the upgrade too?

Thanks,

Mark

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), also involves 10.4 system DVD query

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 5:40 AM

Have you ever moved the Apple apps from there expected location (HD/Applications folder)? This can keep them from being updated.

Apply the 10.6.8 "Combo" update after you've checked your machine.

2 replies

Jan 15, 2012 10:21 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks, the apps were in the expected location, but applying the (v1.1) combo fixed the mail problem. I wonder if it had run out of disk space in the middle of the first combo update, or something temporary like that. The other problems are still going on though... I'll search other forum answers, but in case anyone has some quick ideas on them, they are:

* iWork 9.0.3 continues to fail, even after re-installing (yet iWork 06 works ok).. crashes with a symbol not found (expected in SFArchiving library file that exists)

* Old Microsoft Office executables, in fact everything that needs Rosetta, bring up a terminal window saying it tried to run the app as a script, I guess. Tried installing Rosetta from the optional section of the 10.6.7 install DVD - no warnings, but nothing seems to work.

* iPhoto starts up but does nothing but spinning rainbow disk

I realise the details of these problems are sketchy - will add more if needed and put into properly-named posts, but somebody might spot some common cause from the brief description. Perhaps some files should have been deleted prior to reinstalling? I have reinstalled iWork and Rosetta several times, eventually removing library files that looked related prior to re-installing. Is there some utility to check if I have a "clean" reinstall? Do I have to downgrade to 10.6.7 somehow before reinstalling from DVD??

Old version of Mail after 10.6.7->.8 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.