Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone simulator cannot connect to the internet

Hi, does anybody know why my iphone simulator cannot connect to the internet?

I understand it should, my computer is connected and I have allowed access through little snitch

Any help would be appreciated

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 7:05 AM

12 replies

Jan 13, 2012 1:53 PM in response to morrisdes

I'm not sure what you're actually doing, but the simulator is not an emulator.

It's just your computer - if you connect to a mobile-specific site, that site will think you're trying to connect from your computer and not respond with mobile-specific configured content.

You're likely to run into an endless list of things you don't understand during your initial exposure to Apple's IDE.

Start here:

Xcode 4 User Guide ; Xcode Basics Help

iOS Starting Point

App Development Overview

Jan 13, 2012 2:12 PM in response to K T

Sorry if I have not been clear, I am new to this and I am reading all the documentation I can.

I have designed a few mobile websites and just out of curiosity I decided to look at them using the simulator, going directly to the mobile URL but as I said I get a message saying " cannot open page.. Safari cannot open the page because it could not connect to the server"

also I cannot connect to the sites in the simulators bookmarks folder Apple, Google ect

So I have come to the conclusion this does not connect to the internet, when I googled this problem I have found everybody else has the reverse problem, lots of developers seem to want to disconnect it (why I don't know)

I was thinking little snitch may be the problem, so I allowed access and still I get the same error

Jan 13, 2012 2:20 PM in response to morrisdes

If you're just doing this to check your website, there are other websites that will do that job for you, without needing Xcode, simulator, etc.

If you wish to genuinely and reliably test and verify your site otherwise, you should use an iOS device, of course.

As it is, I agree that something particular to your computer may be the problem, which means only you have the means to track down issues 🙂

Good luck in any case.

Apr 9, 2013 12:16 AM in response to morrisdes

I also have the same problem, the simulator dont connect to the internet and same message "Safari cannot open the page because it could not connect to internet "

I use simulator to develop and i dont use the browser but use many webservices that off curse dont run without a connection.

The strange thing is that this use to work without any problem but suddenly stop working and i just dont know what else can i try to fix it.

Xcode 4.6

Simulator IOS 6.1 (10B141)

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Diego.

May 4, 2015 11:04 PM in response to morrisdes

Well I am lost why iOS simulator ver 8.3 will not run the maps app on the simulator as well. I have just off the phone to Apples development department and they have no ideas why my maps simulator app will not show the map but will show the grid lines. I have reloaded,rebooted and half a dozen other things but no better off. I can use safari to access google maps on the simulator though. ?????

Oct 2, 2015 10:36 AM in response to morrisdes

This is not specific to your computer. We are all being underserved by Apple. There is a larger issue here that has been in play over THREE major releases of Xcode and is simply not being addressed. See all of the other people running into this on Stackoverflow who are going there because they're getting no meaningful help in Apple's support forums. Rebooting from the Hardware menu and Resetting Content Settings is a band aid that does nothing for me beyond one or two http requests before the problem comes back. Apple Support basically says "Wow, that's weird. Sorry, no idea." Yet my Xcode iOS simulator does not work. I had this problem with Yosemite and I upgraded today to El Capitan. Same problem. I am using:

Xcode Version 6.3.2 (6D2105).

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11 (15A284)

All I get from Safari (regardless of iOS version used) in the simulator is "Safari cannot open the page because the network connection was lost." And if another person says "it's a simulator not an emulator, check you internet connection." I'm typing this on my Macbook so obviously, I'm on the internet. It doesn't matter if I'm on VPN, off VPN. I used to use the simulator from this WiFi network. Now it doesn't work. Skype is working. All my browsers are working. Hangouts is working. Sublime Text is SFTPing files up to a remote server. The Apple App store is working. I can use gitHub. BUT MY SIMULATORS DON'T WORK. And don't tell me there are other ways to do what I'm trying to do. I need a simulation of an iPhone visiting a mobile site. Not Chrome's iPhone emulator. It doesn't behave the same way. And by the way, even if there IS another way (which I know there are) this product needs to be working. "Find another way and I'm going to convince you that you don't need this simulator" is a meaningless, garbage answer.

iphone simulator cannot connect to the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.