Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there WINDOWS KEYBOARD shortcut to restart a mac ???

Using a "WINDOWS KEYBOARD" (no "eject" button), is there a keyboard shortcut that will bring up the shut down/restart menu? Equivalent to "control+eject" on a mac keyboard?

Reason I ask: Periodically, my Apple bluetooth devices (keyboard, trackpad and mouse) becomes completely unresponsive while my imac (2011 iMac running Lion 10.7.2) is in sleep mode - pressing a key on the bluetooth keyboard, trackpad or mouse will not wake the iMac up from sleep mode. Pressing the power button will wake the iMac, but I can't type in my unlock password because the keyboard is unresponsive. When this happens, I plug in my spare "WINDOWS" keyboard via USB, at which time I can use this USB keyboard to wake the iMac and type in my unlock password. Now I'm "in my computer" and only the "WINDOWS" keyboard is working (bluetooth trackpad and mouse is still unresponsive). Only thing that will "reset" my bluetooth devices seems to be "restarting" my iMac.

Using this "WINDOWS" keyboard, I'm looking for a way to shutdown/restart my iMac using a keyboard shortcut equivalent or similar to "control+eject" on the apple keyboard - which brings up the shut down/restart dialogue. The "WINDOWS" keyboard obviously does not have an "eject" button. I've tried some of the F12, F11 etc keys with no luck . . .

Hope someone has a solution to this. I'm trying to avoid "hard rebooting" the iMac as a last resort.

Thanks

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 9:57 AM

By holding ctrl + F12 for a couple of secs will get you the shutdown menu on a Windows keyboard.

2 replies

Is there WINDOWS KEYBOARD shortcut to restart a mac ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.