Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD not active?

I am monitoring 26 iMacs with Apple Remote Desktop. For some reason 13 of the 26 iMacs say "ARD not active" under current status. Why is this? At one time I could get onto all of them. The iMacs are located in one of our schools located about 35 miles from my office. Thanks for the help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 11:29 AM

Can you connect to the computers by SSH, or AFP? Can you ping the computers?

How is your network traffic being directed to the comptuers? (port routing on firewall, or VPN, Or some thing else?)

3 replies

Jan 18, 2012 7:02 AM in response to niner4life8

One problem I have run into lately when using ARD 3.51 on a 10.6.8 Server Mac Pro to access 10.6.8 or 10.7.2 systems is that ARD will intermitnely fail to refresh the ststus. Using Refresh on the File menu (top of screen) will update the task status back to available and allow operations to continue. There are even times when the indicated status is off-line but I can still control the remote computer and other times when nothing can be done till the status is refreshed. I don't have a clue as to why this is happening.

One other thing you might try is to delete the affected computers from the All Computers list and then re-scan and install them back into ARD. One cause I have run into for this is when DHCP assigns an IP address to a system but that IP has already been used by a different system and is still carried as being used by the now disconnected system when shown in the All Computers list.

ARD not active?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.