Skip navigation

Was better with the usernames under the avatar

1372 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2012 12:04 PM by Ralph Johns (UK) RSS
1 2 Previous Next
MattiMattMatt Level 4 Level 4 (2,420 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 13, 2012 9:03 AM

When you look at an avatar with a name under it, you process the whole thing as some person with whom you are communicating.

Removing their name and putting it in the cartoon box chops them up and makes this less intuitive.

Not the end of the world, but it worked better for me when it was clearer - here is this person (name, avatar, everything), and here is what they're saying.

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (43,395 points)
    Jan 13, 2012 9:26 AM (in response to MattiMattMatt)

For what it's worth: I agree with you.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (22,815 points)
    Jan 13, 2012 9:37 AM (in response to Klaus1)

Same here.

Also has anyne else notice that the window that use to pop-up when you moused over an avatar is gone? Miss that too.

I agree with you as well.

• Ralph Landry1 Level 7 Level 7 (28,815 points)
    Jan 13, 2012 10:10 AM (in response to Klaus1)

Me three

And the previous way recent posts were given on the right side was a lot easier to scan down and spot the actual new requests...now, for some of us with older eyes, they are a lot harder to process.

• Michael Wasley Level 5 Level 5 (6,810 points)
    Jan 13, 2012 12:24 PM (in response to MattiMattMatt)

Agreed. Seems a pointless change, like the dots for unread posts.

• Asatoran Level 4 Level 4 (2,535 points)

One of the changes I did like was moving the "Mark as read" link.  When one goes offline over the weekend and the "Mark as read" link is buried under the 10 or 20 page numbers, moving the link was nice.

But now the "Report post - Like - Reply" links somtimes get blocked.

Blocked Links.jpg

And removing the popup when you hovered over the link to the forum on the discussions Welcome/Home page.  The popup would block the links below and wouldn't move unless you completely moved your cursor out of the frame to make the popup go away.  Popups with other sites I don't find so bad, but the way Jive does their popups is particularly annoying to me.  (Here at the Apple forum and at VMware's forum, which also uses Jive.)

So a few steps forward, and a few steps back.    (Or perhaps that's & . )

• Michael Wasley Level 5 Level 5 (6,810 points)
    Jan 13, 2012 2:06 PM (in response to Asatoran)

Asatoran wrote:

One of the changes I did like was moving the "Mark as read" link.  When one goes offline over the weekend and the "Mark as read" link is buried under the 10 or 20 page numbers, moving the link was nice.

Assuming you mean the "Mark all as read" link I found it much more convenient in its old position and never experienced any burying problem.

• laverne\'s mom Level 2 Level 2 (395 points)
    Jan 13, 2012 2:07 PM (in response to Asatoran)

If I may add a thought or request in case we can get some features back, I used to like that I could put my curser over the community name in "My Places" on my Home Page and see the most recent 5 subjects and when they were posted so I could tell right away without going directly to the community if there was something new.  That feature seems to be gone also. 

Michael Wasley wrote:

Asatoran wrote:

Assuming you mean the "Mark all as read" link I found it much more convenient in its old position and never experienced any burying problem.

It would only get "buried" when you're on something like the 20th page of posts.  I don't have a screen shot, but this is an example of what I'm talking about:

Mark As Read buried with note.jpg

The "18 19 20 21 22" added to the middle of the page list is what covered up the "Mark all as read" link.  If you're on page 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, the list of pages is short and didn't cover up the link.

Why would I be on the 20th page?  As I mentioned, go offline for a weekend or so, (Thanksgiving, Christmas, vacation, etc.) then start reading again a few days later one of the more popular forums like the iPad or iPhone forums, you can easily get 20-30 pages of unread threads.  When Lion first came out, I remember that forum hitting over 50 pages of thread the first weekend after the release.

Yes, I did find the old location for the "Mark all as read" easier to use, but only if it wasn't buried.

...I used to like that I could put my curser over the community name in "My Places" on my Home Page and see the most recent 5 subjects...

I like that 5 subjects thing, but I did not like that the pop up would block the other forum names.  The popup wouldn't move so if you accidentally hovered over the wrong forum name, you couldn't click on the names below unless you moved your cursor completely our of the frame to make the pop up disappear.  For the below example, I couldn't click on any of the iLife forums because I accidentally hovered over the Mac App Store.  If you start hovering over iMovie for iOS, for example, the popup would stay in the same place, (but change to iMovie threads) but would still be blocking the iLife forums (and NOT blocking the Mac App Store forum.)  So you couldn't get to the blocked links unless you moved your cursor well out of the HTML frame with the forum names, which would make the pop up disappear.  (Ignore the red oval in the below example, it was the only screen shot I had saved.)

Blocking Forum names.jpg

VMware's forums have a similar popup and do not move either.  So it appears to be inherent with Jive's software, which just seems poorly implemented as far as these popups are concerned.

• Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (66,835 points)
    Jan 14, 2012 2:58 PM (in response to MattiMattMatt)

Hi MattiMattMatt,

I noticed this a few days ago.

I went as far as discussing it with a Buddy over iChat.

I miss the header type bar in the Post so that you know what info is about how and who posted is separate from the post content.

I was also thinking the whole Profile icon/Avatar should be moved in to the Post box so that white space on the left that gets wider and wider in a Threaded view could be recovered.

I have not looked at the pop up things that other people raise.

I am not sure if I like the return of the Blue Balls.  (Much as I missed them when they went when the new software was started)

I had gotten used to the Bold text meaning New Post or New Content when viewed in the Discussion tab view.

However the Blue Balls do make it clearer as they have a larger white area around them.

Whilst on the subject of the tabs  (Threadjack alert) can anyone explain the Overview one ? 

Has anyone seen a forum/Community with an actual User Tip in the Users tip one ?

10:56 PM      Saturday; January 14, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Replacing Emoji...

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)  Minor corrections to my horrendous spelling.

Has anyone seen a forum/Community with an actual User Tip in the Users tip one ?

Both the Tiger and Leopard forums have at least one really useful User Tip listed.

Actually they are the same, and I wrote them/it....

• Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (66,835 points)
    Jan 15, 2012 11:42 AM (in response to Klaus1)

Hi Klaus1,

The only place I noticed one was in the lounge.

Many of the iChat ones I have written did not make the transfer from the old Forums (there were 4 ) to the new Communities one.

Example with it's DOC URL

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1977

Maybe it's a question for the User Tip Contributions area.

7:42 PM      Sunday; January 15, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.