Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up iPad for very elderly relative

I want to set up an iPad so that an elderly relative can use it exclusively to FaceTime great-grandchildren. She needs to be able to open the lid, click on an icon and find herself on FaceTime to us. Expecting her to find the FaceTime app, click on favourites and then call us is too complex. We're dealing with someone who struggles with a TV remote.

I can remove any passcode. I can hide all icons except FaceTime in a folder. I think there's an app that will even let me make this folder "hidden". I've got an app called "Contact" which allows me to create a shortcut (using someone's photo) which when pressed (as an app) will speed dial the person, but it doesn't appear to allow FaceTime.

Any suggestions? I need this to be super super simple - a trully "one click" operation.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 10:29 AM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2013 8:19 PM in response to Edward NC

I am also very. Rey interested in this issue.

I have 2 parents... One with Alzheimer's and the other with another form of dementia.

We had take the iPad away because one of them can't help but push every button on the device.

We would love to turn the iPad into a FaceTime appliance that only accepts calls form those in the contact book.

We ALS,would want to lockout every other button besides make call and answer.

Apple is missing the boat in the eldercare world!!!

Setting up iPad for very elderly relative

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.