Skip navigation

Mac Pro 2008 with a Nvidia GT8800. Two monitors started to flicker in a strobing way then became unresponsive. After restarting the computer, the gray loading screen with the apple symbol and gear appear for a while then freeze.

1849 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 5:43 PM by Grant Bennet-Alder RSS
DIS100 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 13, 2012 10:59 AM

Mac Pro 2008 with a Nvidia GT8800. Two monitors started to flicker in a strobing way then became unresponsive. After restarting the computer, the gray loading screen with the apple symbol and gear appear for a while then freeze. The computer continues to work in the background, I know this because I can hear skype load and startup, but I can't see anything but the gray loading screen jerked 1/3 of the way to the side with a little blackness in the top left corner.

I can control the computer a little bit with some remote access software I have installed, but I cannot run the computer in safe mode, or do much else in the way of maintenance because the computer needs to auto boot my remote access software in order for me to see anything that it is doing and safemode does not do this.

I think it might be my graphics card, but could it be software? I just installed Dragon Dictate 2.0 which had a memory leak so I stopped using it, but didn't uninstall. I've also read a few things about RAM going bad and having effects on the displays, but the computer seems to be running fine in the background. Also, since it affects both monitors I don't think it's a connection problem as they have separate cords going into separate ports on the back of the Graphics Card.

photo.JPG

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.