Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning beachball of death

Hi, I have OS X Lion installed on my MacBook Pro and every time I start it up I click on my user name on the login screen and the spinning beachball of death cursor appears for about 7 seconds, then I can login normally. I just want to ask if this is a normal behaviour and/or other users are having this problem. I have seen another discussion similar to this, but my MBP doesn't crash, it only hangs for a few seconds.

When I clean my Mac with Yasu, this is not happening any more for about 5 days, then the SBBOD comes back (and it is really annoying!)

Any help would be very appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Late 2011, 15" HiRes

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 1:14 PM

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. First, disconnect all wired peripherals except keyboard, mouse, and monitor, if applicable, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  • Press the power button.
  • Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  • Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including your login items.

Test. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2012 1:14 PM in response to bhillinger

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. First, disconnect all wired peripherals except keyboard, mouse, and monitor, if applicable, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  • Press the power button.
  • Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  • Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including your login items.

Test. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode.)

Spinning beachball of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.