Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop / VNC

Hi,

I'm attempting to use Chicken-of-the-VNC to remote connect to my desktop(MacOS10.4.4) from my powerbook(10.4.4), through Apple Remote Desktop.

I can do this using OSXvnc, and can connect from home with no problems. I need to try using ARD because of some unrelated issues.

The error message I'm getting from CotV is:
"Zlib inflate error: invalid block type"

On my desktop, I have ARD enabled, with all the checkboxes checked. On the router, I have forwarded ports 5900 and 3283 (both TCP and UDP) to the desktop.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated...I've searched for this error, and googled, but am not finding anything.

Rob

G5 Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Feb 15, 2006 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2006 6:57 PM

On your desktop, you don't need to check off all the boxes in the Sharing Prefs/ARD. You just need to check it off to make it active, then go into "Access Privileges" and check off "Allow VNC Viewers to control this mac using password __" and specify a password.

Then using CotVNC just connect and type the password in the password field.

BTW, if your home Mac is also behind a router, you need to open those same ports also.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2006 6:57 PM in response to nortonloaf

On your desktop, you don't need to check off all the boxes in the Sharing Prefs/ARD. You just need to check it off to make it active, then go into "Access Privileges" and check off "Allow VNC Viewers to control this mac using password __" and specify a password.

Then using CotVNC just connect and type the password in the password field.

BTW, if your home Mac is also behind a router, you need to open those same ports also.

Apr 15, 2006 2:02 AM in response to nortonloaf

I too use Chicken to connect between my 3 macs running ARD, but have to use OSXVnc on my G5 as Chicken won't connect to it.

I get an error in the console on the connecting machine like:

2006-04-15 09:20:58.071 Chicken of the VNC[1933] Server reports Version RFB 003.888

Chicken detects the G5 via bonjour OK, but puts up a message like:

Unknown authResult 110101530

The only difference between my G5 and other two Macs is that on the G5 I had installed Apple Remote Desktop Client some time back... although I would have thought that Tiger would have have updated that.

Apple Remote Desktop / VNC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.