Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading from 10.4 to 10.6

I currently have 10.4 installed on my MacBook Pro and I need at least OS 10.5 and iMovie 9 to connect my new Canon Vixia HF M31 to my computer to transfer video files. Is it possible to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 without having to install 10.5 as well? I ask because 10.5 is really expensive but 10.6 goes for around $40, and I don't have much money. And how would I upgrade iMovie, as well?

Thanks in advanced!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 2:05 PM

First check that your current Mac meets the System Requirements for Snow Leopard...

Snow Leopard Specs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP575

If it does... then Purchase and Install the Snow Leopard Disc,

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Then you can Purchase iMovie from the Mac Apps Store...

7 replies

Jan 13, 2012 2:25 PM in response to D. P. Gumby

Whether or not you can upgrade to 10.6 depends on what Mac model you have. These are the system requirements for Snow Leopard:

Mac computer with an Intel processor

• 1GB of memory (I'd have 2GB at least)

• 5GB of available disk space (make that 30GB at least)

• DVD drive for installation

* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

If your MacBook Pro meets those requirements, all you have to do is buy a Snow Leopard disk for $29 and you can go directly to 10.6. However, if you have any PowerPC applications that run on Mac OS 9.x.x, 10.6 has no support for the Classic environment, although applications themselves should run using Rosetta. But if you upgrade later to Lion or beyond, there is no support for anything to run a PowerPC application.

Likewise, if you have applications that run under 10.4.11 now, upgrading the OS will almost certainly require updating (buying) a new, compatible version for 10.6, which could be very expensive, so investigate the costs of that before you upgrade anything. iMovie 9 was part of iLife '09, which is no longer packaged with new Macs or sold; we're now at iLife '11, which would have a later version of iMovie included. You'd have to buy iLife '11 for $49 from the online Apple Store, or from your nearest Apple Retail Store.

Upgrading from 10.4 to 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.