Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone tracklist ghost files & other queries!

I've spent the last week or so trying to get to grips with iTunes Match but it's been more trouble than it's worth to be honest! The idea is great but the workflow is just not there yet...

Anyways, I am having the following issues and would love to find out a solution to one or all of them (I currently have iTM turned on on all devices mentioned and my full library from my computer is matched):

1. When I connect my iPhone 4S to my iMac with no music stored on the phone, I select Music from the iPhone list and there are 158 songs listed, some greyed out, some not, none of them play. How do I delete these from this list? I've tried turning off iTM on both the phone and computer but this doesn't help. If I click on a song that isn't greyed out I get an exclamation mark to the far left of the track name, all the greyed out ones have a circle with 2 arrows which I presume is some kind of sync symbol.

2. After my full library was matched I deleted lower bitrate tracks and MP3 files from my computer in order to replace them with 256 AAC matched versions but downloading the files from iCloud after deleting the originals appears to be replacing it with the same file type. I have 553 MPEG audio files that wont delete and get replaced with a matched AAC version. How do I replace them with the matched AAC version stored in iCloud.

3. I have 188 AAC files in my library which will also no let me replace them with a matched version. How do I replace these? (The reason for replacing these is although they are 256 AAC files I think they originally were lower bit rate and I want to clean things up! OCD and all...)

Any help would be much appreciated and if I've missed something out let me know.

Many thanks,

Bryan

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 4:35 PM

tobacco_slammers wrote:

1. When I connect my iPhone 4S to my iMac with no music stored on the phone, I select Music from the iPhone list and there are 158 songs listed, some greyed out, some not, none of them play. How do I delete these from this list? I've tried turning off iTM on both the phone and computer but this doesn't help. If I click on a song that isn't greyed out I get an exclamation mark to the far left of the track name, all the greyed out ones have a circle with 2 arrows which I presume is some kind of sync symbol.

So far the only method we have found to get rid fo these "ghost" tracks is to restore from a backup. It's annoying.

tobacco_slammers wrote:

2. After my full library was matched I deleted lower bitrate tracks and MP3 files from my computer in order to replace them with 256 AAC matched versions but downloading the files from iCloud after deleting the originals appears to be replacing it with the same file type. I have 553 MPEG audio files that wont delete and get replaced with a matched AAC version. How do I replace them with the matched AAC version stored in iCloud.

If you are getting the same files back then they were "uploaded" and not "matched." You should turn on the iCloud Status column in the iTunes Browser so you can see the status of each track. Pull down View > View Options, select "icloud status" and click OK.

tobacco_slammers wrote:

3. I have 188 AAC files in my library which will also no let me replace them with a matched version. How do I replace these? (The reason for replacing these is although they are 256 AAC files I think they originally were lower bit rate and I want to clean things up! OCD and all...)

After you enable the iCloud Status column you will be able to see if these tracks are "matched" or "uploaded." If they are "uploaded" as I suspect you can not replace them, since they are not "matched."

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2012 4:35 PM in response to tobacco_slammers

tobacco_slammers wrote:

So far the only method we have found to get rid fo these "ghost" tracks is to restore from a backup. It's annoying.

tobacco_slammers wrote:

If you are getting the same files back then they were "uploaded" and not "matched." You should turn on the iCloud Status column in the iTunes Browser so you can see the status of each track. Pull down View > View Options, select "icloud status" and click OK.

tobacco_slammers wrote:

After you enable the iCloud Status column you will be able to see if these tracks are "matched" or "uploaded." If they are "uploaded" as I suspect you can not replace them, since they are not "matched."

Jan 15, 2012 12:54 AM in response to tobacco_slammers

Thanks for the info Micheal, this helps clear up some of the confusion!

One additional thing...

I have a few albums which I have had matched with iTunes Match but some of the tracks on them are not matched. for example, One album has all but 1 track matched. Why is this? Surely if the rest of the album tracks were matched this one should be to?

Thanks,

Bryan

Jan 15, 2012 7:09 AM in response to tobacco_slammers

That's a question no one can answer right now. We know a little bit about what criteria Apple uses to match songs (waveforms, file size, song length, etc) but we don't know exactly how it works. So sometimes tracks that seem like they should match, do not. I've got several like this in my library as well. For example, I've got the remastered Led Zeppelin boxed set from 1993... every track from from those 9 albums matched except 1. Very odd. The only thing we can do right now is report these mismatches to Apple using their feedback page <http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html>.

Jan 15, 2012 12:06 PM in response to tobacco_slammers

I'm glad I am not the only one that finds the "ghost tracks" annoying. I called Apple about this and trying to explain it was like I'm talking a different language. Apple knows about it and I was told to wait for an update. Whether we see or not, that is the question. The funny thing thing is, it happens the way you described it on my iPhone but the iPad works fine. Once you delete a track from the iPad it is gone, no ghost tracks. If you delete a track on the iPhone, ghost tracks.

Apple shoud have caught this issue but again it's still in beta. It should never have been sold this way until it had more time to bake.

Jan 15, 2012 12:10 PM in response to Cubus25

Cubus25 wrote:

Apple shoud have caught this issue but again it's still in beta. It should never have been sold this way until it had more time to bake.

This is a misconception. No where in the marketing material available online does Apple say iTunes Match is a beta product.

I do agree that the "ghost tracks" are a bug, and probably should have been caught during development and testing. I'm at a loss as to how it was not.

Jan 15, 2012 12:19 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

I thought it still was a beta, I retract that statement. The issues shoud have been caught.

Has any one noticed that using iTunes Match makes syncing with a computer take longer? I restored my phone again because of this issue. What was happening, locating the iPhone on wi-fi and preparing it took several minutes to complete (iTunes Match active on the phone). Since I restored (did not setup iTunes Match on the iPhone) syncing is quick over wi-fi.

Apple seems to be aware of this issue as well. Anyone else having this issue?

iPhone tracklist ghost files & other queries!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.