7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 1:14 PM by Techmadness
Ziatron Level 4 Level 4
expertise.desktops
Desktops

Last night I was syncing my iPhone. After syncing I noticed that many of my Apps had been updated!

I have several apps on my iPhone that I did not wish to update, and in typical Apple fashion is very difficult to go back to previous versions.

How can I prevent Apple from updating apps without my permission?

• pvonk Level 6 Level 6

The only way to update apps is for the user to initiate an update.  Are you syncing to iCloud?  At a Mac/PC via USB or wifi?  If by USB, you need to go to the update tab and choose individual apps or all those that need updating. So please tell us which method of syncing you are using.  Maybe there is a setting that I'm not aware of that updates automatically when syncing.

• Johnathan Burger Level 6 Level 6

If you have an updated version of an app on the pc, it will update it on the phone.

• pvonk Level 6 Level 6

Yes, and to get that updated version on the computer, the user must initiate an update via iTunes.

• Ziatron Level 4 Level 4
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

The only way to update apps is for the user to initiate an update.  Are you syncing to iCloud?  At a Mac/PC via USB or wifi?  If by USB, you need to go to the update tab and choose individual apps or all those that need updating. So please tell us which method of syncing you are using.  Maybe there is a setting that I'm not aware of that updates automatically when syncing.

For security reasons I do not use iCloud.   I am syncing with a USB cable.

I tried to uncheck all of my apps.  I received a warning that any/many apps that were not checked would be deleted.

I synced using iTunes. I didn't know there was any other way.

I am using a Mac with 10.6.8  (was using 10.7.2 but switched back.)

• Dah•veed Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macappstore
    Mac App Store

Apps cannot be updated in iTunes on your computer unless you authorize that they be updated and enter your account password. Apps cannot be updated on your iPhone unless you open the Apps Store app and authorize the updates and enter your account password. Apple has not updated any apps without your permission.

• Kiwiphone4 Level 4 Level 4

This is correct.

Your apps must have been updated by someone on your computer, and when you sync with iTunes it will update the new apps for iTunes on you device.

Neither iTunes or iOS devices update apps without your permission.

• Techmadness Level 1 Level 1

Not true.

iTunes will check remotely what apps you have downloaded and will download the latest version or update.

If you then sync your device with your PC it will update your apps.

Simple.