Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple update my apps without my permission

Last night I was syncing my iPhone. After syncing I noticed that many of my Apps had been updated!

I have several apps on my iPhone that I did not wish to update, and in typical Apple fashion is very difficult to go back to previous versions.

How can I prevent Apple from updating apps without my permission?

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 4:25 PM

7 replies

Jan 13, 2012 4:49 PM in response to Ziatron

The only way to update apps is for the user to initiate an update. Are you syncing to iCloud? At a Mac/PC via USB or wifi? If by USB, you need to go to the update tab and choose individual apps or all those that need updating. So please tell us which method of syncing you are using. Maybe there is a setting that I'm not aware of that updates automatically when syncing.

Jan 13, 2012 9:55 PM in response to pvonk

The only way to update apps is for the user to initiate an update. Are you syncing to iCloud? At a Mac/PC via USB or wifi? If by USB, you need to go to the update tab and choose individual apps or all those that need updating. So please tell us which method of syncing you are using. Maybe there is a setting that I'm not aware of that updates automatically when syncing.

For security reasons I do not use iCloud. I am syncing with a USB cable.

I tried to uncheck all of my apps. I received a warning that any/many apps that were not checked would be deleted.

I synced using iTunes. I didn't know there was any other way.

I am using a Mac with 10.6.8 (was using 10.7.2 but switched back.)

Why does Apple update my apps without my permission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.