Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone rattles?

Is it normal for my iphone to rattle?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 6:09 PM

9 replies

Jan 16, 2012 3:05 PM in response to R.Kade

Yep get use to it!!! every iPhone 4 & 4s has a rattle. According to Apple (and the moderators on this forum) this is "normal" and is perfectly OK!! Ok my ***! No manufacture of premium consumer electronics should allow their products to go to market with such a defect! I have had a lot of phones in my time from a lot of manufactures, including earlier 3 series iPhone's and have never had this issue. I purchased a iPhone 4s recently and was horrified when I discovered that it sounded like it had a couple of little ball bearings rattling around inside it. Apple happily replaced the phone, the only problem was that every replacement they offered did the same thing.

I now have an very quite HTC!! No more poison apples for me!

Jan 16, 2012 3:20 PM in response to R.Kade

Ignore the dramaqueen in the first reply. He/she clearly doesn't understand product design and or the meaning of 'defect'. Just because something move/rattles doesn't mean it's defective.

Yes, the iPhone 4/4S has a 'rattle' to it if you tap near the camera... it's the autofocus mechanism... it's normal and not a defect.

Look to your right under "More Like This" for related discussions.

Jan 16, 2012 3:57 PM in response to R.Kade

Looks like I've upset the "Apple Cart"??

Yes I'm very disappointed with the iPhone 4s as are many many others if you care to search this and other forums. When you shell out top $ for a premium product you expect it to behave like a premium product! I have been a long time user of Apple products in my many years on this earth, Macs, iPhones, iPods (my iPod mini still works like a dream!) and this is first time I had any issues with an Apple product. After working for many years in Product Design and Manufacturing for the Automotive industry I think I'm qualified to pass comment on this issue without being run out of town by the Apple Sheriff's above. Anything that makes the end customer think there is a problem with their purchased product should not be acceptable by any manufacturer, period! No one can tell me that a expensive phone that rattles is Ok and Normal, nor should it be defended.

As for the rattle coming from the "autofocus", you guys seem to know something that Apple doesn't. Every Apple Tech I spoke to told me it is the Vibrator Motor making the rattle not the auto focus.

Jan 23, 2012 4:26 AM in response to rattle4s

I just agree... I bought my iphone4s last week and have clearly the same problems. But I think it didn´t do that the first days, so there was no rattle. At least not that loud as it is now! Now if I lay the phone on a table it sounds like there are a lot of loose parts in there. I am from Austria and I also live here so I called Orange (like Verizon in the US) and they said I should replace it and that it is not normal... but I guess nobody knows (apple included) whats normal. It *****! It´s really anoying!!!

A friend of mine has the same problem. But his rattling is never as loud as mine... so if this is a common problem with every iphone4s, why is the rattle in my phone louder?????

My iphone rattles?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.