Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor Taking Too Long

I have repeatedly had this problem for the past 2 years. I have reinstalled both FCP7 and Compressor several times over that period and it inevitably happens. Compressor begins to randomly take 50 hours to compress my 5 minute movie.

I understand both options of Sending to Compressor within FCP and also using a Self Contained QT movie to Compress. Both have the same results for me. The footage comes from the same camcorder for each video. I always Transfer and Log the footage within FCP. A 5 minute movie sometimes takes 40 minutes to compress. The next 5 minute movie takes 50 hours to compress, and I don't understand why. Any suggestions would be helpful.

FCP Clips (7.0.3)

Frame Size: 1920x1080

Video Rate: 29.97 fps

Compressor: Apple ProRes 422

Field Dominance: Upper (Odd)

Pixel Aspect: Square

Audio Rate: 48KHz

Audio: Stereo

Audio Format: 16-bit interger

Compression Settings (3.5.3)

File Extension: mov

Estimated size: 3.69 GB/hour of source

Audio Encoder

AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz

Video Encoder

Format: QT

Width: (100% of source)

Height: (100% of source)

Selected: 1920 x 1080

Pixel aspect ratio: Square

Crop: None

Padding: None

Frame rate: (100% of source)

Selected: 29.97

Frame Controls On:

Retiming: (Best) High quality Motion Compensated

Resize Filter: Statistical Prediction

Deinterlace Filter: Best (Motion Compensated)

Adaptive Details: On

Antialias: 0

Detail Level: 0

Field Output: Progressive

Codec Type: H.264

Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On

Pixel depth: 24

Spatial quality: 75

Min. Spatial quality: 25

Key frame interval: 30

Temporal quality: 50

Min. temporal quality: 25

Average data rate: 8.192 (Mbps)

Watermark

Position: Lower Left

Scale By: 0.900

Alpha: 1.000

Repeat On

MBP 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 500G 7200 HD

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 9:35 AM

Try turning/keeping the frame controls off. You're not re-sizing or re-timing. Also change to one pass not multi-pass. Frame controls "Best Setting" and multi-pass add significant time to compressions. Do a test and compare with your previous settings and it should look fine.

8 replies

Jan 14, 2012 9:44 AM in response to JayCas

With all your frame controls at best, I'm not really sure what I'd view as the outlier – 40 minutes or 50 hours. Out of curiosity, I tried a piece of test footage on a similarly specced machine and got a 120:1 result (extrapolating, that works out to approximately 10 hours for a 5 minute source file.) To quote the manual,

Important: Using all Best settings may result in unexpectedly long processing times.

However, hard to say why it might vary so much…perhaps progressive source material in one and interlaced in another…possibly one or more adjustments set to better? As I indicated, with those settings, I think I would be as surpised by the 40 minute encode

Anyway, the difference in processing time between better and best is huge. Try dialing it down a notch and see what it does to your times and to quality.

Jan 14, 2012 12:31 PM in response to JayCas

Mmmmm...

The best thing to do is to use ProRes (first) to deinterlace your video before you compress to H.264. H.264 will read the Frame Control for each pass, adding to the time for compressing. Also setup the QMaster to to utilize all of your cores, this will cut the encoding time for both ProRes and H.264.

To save time between the ProRes and H.264 encoding you can setup Chaining Job option in Compressor. This will encode the PreRes first and then will automatically encode it to H.264. Type CHAINING in the Compressor Help Menu for more info.

As for setting everything to best in Frame Control. If there isn't a change in the video, for example resizing. Frame Control will not use the resizing option no matter what setting you use, bypassing it.

Here is how I determine if I need to deinterlace a video. In the Preview widow I scrub the video look for interlacing artifacts. If I don't see any I set the video to progressive and don't use Frame Control to deinterlace the video.

Jan 14, 2012 8:06 PM in response to JayCas

Sorry, missed the that your source was interlaced. In that case turn frame controls on and change "Output Fields" to "Progressive" and "Deinterlace" to "Fast (Line averaging)" or "Better (Motion adaptive)" depending if your video has lot's of motion. "Better (Motion adaptive)" may take a little longer but not too drastic. Test both and see which works for you. There's also "JES Deinterlacer" that some people swear by that you can de-interlace before compression and best of all it's free.

Compressor Taking Too Long

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.