Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have lost safari browsing, reinstalled it, added update combo for lion and safari, now I don't have even have a drop down menu under my apppleon the top tool, sometimes no responses to anything....stange garbled messages....reset safari many times...

How do I know what I am running....how do I know if I stillave snow leaopard, after I bought the lion updade 29.99, safari stopped browisng....nothing is rigt, lost lots of fucnctions...don't know where my browser is, don't have a druop donw menu under apple on tolbar.

RE installed 105.1 (orsomething,my appleico is blank), reinstalled safari 5.1.1, will not browse or searc....history or topsites picture windows anymore.....alll Icando is browse withyahoo, which I don't want. I don't know what a gmail counter is, or why I have it all of a sudden, but can't get rid of it. Picasa rarel letmeclose it....what can I do?

No Dock an more either.

Preferences. or services under apple icon, ust startup disk, restart, shutdown.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), iOS 5.0.1, Need operating browser, and safari

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 6:55 AM

3 replies

Jan 14, 2012 7:15 AM in response to simona.s

What you're describing makes no sense; it's a jumble of thoughts and supposed actions, but no concrete information to tell us anything.

If you downloaded Lion, that would not cause what you describe. If you had Snow Leopard running when you downloaded Lion, that also wouldn't cause what you describe. So you had to ahve done something to end up in this state. You say you reinstalled 105.1, but there is no such thing; more likely you mean Mac OS X 10.5, in which case you've answered your own questionn about having Snow Leopard installed anymore.

But if you did that, the question is why? Unless there was something catastrophic wrong with Snow Leopard, there would be no reason to reinstall Leopard. You also describe browsing with Yahoo, but that's not possible because Yahoo is not a browser. The Dock also does not just go "missing".

You're going to need to reinstall Leopard using the Archive & Install option, and then install Snow Leopard to get back to a usable state. If you have a backup from prior to when all these problems began, that's good. If not, then you will have to take your chances on losing all your data if this doesn't work.

Startup from your Leopard disc (if your system came with Leopard), choose your language, and then start the install process. Be sure to choose Archive & Install and Preseve Users and Network Settings before you start the installation. When it's done, let it restart and then check to be sure everything is in working order. If it is, put the Previous Systems folder in the Trash and empty it.

Then download the 10.5.8 Combo Update from the Apple web site and apply it. Restart and check to be sure everything is working.

Post back when you've done that.

Jan 14, 2012 7:51 AM in response to simona.s

See Kappy's post on downgrading from Lion. He has some actual experience in doing this. This is for downgrading to Snow, but the principle should remain the same.

EDIT: From Lion you will need to completely erase and reformat your drive, unless you have a Time Machine volume from before the Lion upgrade, or a bootable clone of the previous system, whatever that was -- it probably was Snow Leopard, since it's a pre-requisite for Lion. You couldn't have gotten Lion from the App Store without it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3217575?start=0&tstart=0

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Jan 14, 2012 9:10 AM in response to simona.s

You bought the Lion upgrade. Then what did you do? Does this look like the procedure you followed? Scroll down to "Installing Lion."

http://www.macworld.com/article/161065/2011/07/installing_lion_what_you_need_to_ know.html

Also have a look at "Getting your Mac ready for Lion" to see if you skipped any of the necessary preparation.

http://www.macworld.com/article/160943/2011/07/get_your_mac_ready_for_lion.html

I have lost safari browsing, reinstalled it, added update combo for lion and safari, now I don't have even have a drop down menu under my apppleon the top tool, sometimes no responses to anything....stange garbled messages....reset safari many times...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.