Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop Mail from opening

Whenever I use ANY web browser (Safari or Firefox) and click on an e-mail (mailto) link, Apple Mail opens. It is driving me crazy. I am about to throw my computer away and go back to using good old paper and a pencil to do everything.

I have tried the following:

Firefox:

Preferences/Applications/mailto and changed the drop-down to gmail (that is the browser my wife uses and the mail she uses)

THIS WORKED FOR FIREFOX

Safari:

The preferences panel has nothing about how to handle mail requests.

User uploaded file

So I went into Mail (which I frikkin hate by the way, worse than anything you could ever imagine)

Mail's preferences don't have an option for ANYTHING to handle mail... besides Mail (which is a horrible program).

User uploaded file

When I click select and choose Firefox, Safari, anything, it reverts back to mail.

I want mail to STOP opening when I click an e-mail address. I am fine with the solution for Firefox. How do I configure Safari to do the same?

THANKS!!!!!

Safari-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Configuring Apple Mail Prefs

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 11:43 AM

18 replies

Jan 14, 2012 12:29 PM in response to davecarama

OK. Here goes.

I found a program named "Yahoo! Mailer"

You download this program, drag it to your computer, go to mail app and in the preferences section, select this app as your default e-mail reader.

It will open in the browser you are using.

So for instance, I am using Safari, click on an e-mail link, rather than the worst program in the world (Apple Mail) opening, Safari will open my mail in the browser. It defaults to Yahoo mail, but you can configure it to use a different program if you would like.

This solved my issue. I hate Apple Mail... I actually hate Apple Support because they would have charged me $45 to talk to me and I am sure they would not have come to any usable solution besides "Why Not Use Apple Mail".

Google is your friend.

Dave

Jul 18, 2012 7:36 AM in response to Csound1

I also am looking for a solution for Safari. That is why I checked this thread out. As much as I dislike Google Chrome and it doesn't have the plug-ins I like or want. I was hoping for a solution for Safari.

I found a Safari extension. Has anyone had success with this:

Mailto:

This extension makes mailto:* urls open in online email services. It currently supports AOL, Fastmail, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! mail and Zoho mail.

http://code.google.com/p/mailto-chromeextension/

I do still have a Yahoo mail account. This might be helpful, if one has one of the email services listed with the extension. It doesn't quite solve the problem, though One can still use Safari.

Oct 1, 2012 11:11 AM in response to The Mlkman

I'm not a terminal user, so I'd like to find an extension that does the same thing. I download the mailto: safari extension.

here

But I still can't get it to work and there are no instructions.

- I've restared Safari.

- I've closed / restarted Mail. There still is no way to change the "dafault mail reader" in Mail even after downloading the ext.

Please help - I've got to have gmail mailto for work. Thanks!

Jan 20, 2013 8:29 AM in response to davecarama

Highlight "Mail" in applications folder. "Command I" or "get info" from file menu. At bottom in "sharing and permissions". you must be an administrator. Unlock, then highlight the user, and click the "minus" sign below the pane - you may have to play with this a little. The final result is a greyed out box that says "everyone" and "no access". This places a tiny red minus sign on the Mail folder and disables it

Jul 7, 2014 7:18 PM in response to davecarama

Hi Dave! This may help if you should want to save your emails to your computer which AM can do.

--Open Mail

--From Application Toolbar choose MAIL

--Choose ACCOUNTS from Mail tool bar

--Choose "Account Information"

--In the bottom right hand box -- Choose the "drop down box" (blue arrows) and Choose the mail box you want to send mail from

--Check "Use only this server". (Safari has a drop down on their tool bar that allows you to choose which box you want to send from.)

Go to Safari or a Web Page and send an email message. See if this works.

---------------

Of course, I'm assuming you have filled in the Account information for all your mailboxes. If not, that's a whole different procedure but well worth the effort, all your mailboxes are at your fingertips and you can save all your mail to your computer, back it up and never loose a word. :-)

Another caveat: I am using OS X 10.6.8 and the later versions of OS X may have dropped or modified Mail. Perhaps someone using one of the newer versions can add their knowledge here.

AM has many useful perks, it just takes time to find them but they really are worth the effort. 🙂

….goldie

User uploaded file

How can I stop Mail from opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.