Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the iPad considered a PDA (for insurance purposes)...?

Dear Apple Support Community,

I am an iPad user and have recently taken out an insurance policy which displays both the iPhone and iPad on its advertising. Having subsequently contacted them to add both my iPhone and iPad I was told that they will not insure my iPad. They have insured my iPhone quite happily but stated that the iPad in not a PDA and they will therefore not cover it. Their exact words were "the iPad is classed as a gadget, and is therefore not a PDA and we can not issure it". I fully appreciated that they iPad is far more than a traditioanl PDA e.g. Palm Pilot but surely for insurance purposes it can be classed as a PDA?

I would appreciate your thoughts and would also be intersted to know what category Apple would place the iPad in?

Thanks in advance for your time!

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 12:13 PM

9 replies

Jan 14, 2012 7:38 PM in response to snickuk

Are you in the UK? Given your name I'm inclined to think you are, in which case it sounds like you have a decent case against them at the Advertising Standards Authority.

The fact they are using an iPad in their advertising, yet specifically excluding iPads when you take out a policy stinks of false advertising, which the ASA will take action against.

It doesn't help you, since at the end of the day they are a private company and entitled to set their policy rules however they see fit, but they're not entitled to suck people into buying their products based on adverts that don't reflect the reality.

Is the iPad considered a PDA (for insurance purposes)...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.