Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i open photos in photoshop elements 9

I have loaded Photoshop Elements 9 on my MacBook Pro and cannot open photos. I also have IPhoto running

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 1:22 PM

8 replies

Jan 14, 2012 2:40 PM in response to PBD007

The following is how to use PSE from within iPhoto:

Using Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file
Click to view full size

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done. 3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file
Click to view full size

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements 9 the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file
Click to view full size

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file
Click to view full size

NOTE: If you want to use both iPhoto's editing mode and PS without having to go back and forth to the Preference pane, once you've selected PS as your editor of choice, reset the Preferences back to "Open in main window". That will let you either edit in iPhoto (double click on the thumbnail) or in PS (Control-click on the thumbnail and seledt "Edit in external editor" in the Contextual menu). This way you get the best of both worlds.

OT

Jun 12, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Old Toad

Can you open RAW photos in elements 8 from iphoto? Everytime I load them into elements it converts them into JPG and I don't want that, I want to edit them as RAW and when I export them on to the desk top folder and bridge them through elements it tells me that it doesn't recognize this type of file. Thanks 😁

Jun 12, 2012 1:57 PM in response to hotmom

You can process your Raw with a 3rd Party app like ACR or Photoshop. *But* iPhoto does not handle this gracefully and it's a bit of a kludge.

First off set your preferred app as an external editor in iPhoto:

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

Note that iPhoto sends a copy+ of the file to Photoshop, so when you save be sure to use the Save command, not Save As... If you use Save As then you're creating a new file and iPhoto has no way of knowing about this new file. iPhoto is preserving your original anyway.

Next: In the iPhoto Preferences -> Advanced, elect to use Raw with your External editor:

User uploaded file
Uploaded with plasq's Skitch!

Now when you go to edit the Raw it will be sent to your external editor.

Now for the kludge:

You cannot save a Raw. The work you do must be output to a new file, in a new format (jepg, tiff, whatever). However, as the External Editor is making this new file iPhoto has no knowledge of its existence. Therefore you *must save it to the desktop and then import it back to iPhoto as a new file*.

This means that you will have your Original Raw and the processed version in iPhoto but they will not be recognised as version and original. iPhoto will see them as two separate shots.

how do i open photos in photoshop elements 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.