Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I join clips in QT X?

I would like to join several .mp4 clips together using QT X (v. 10.0-131) Apple's QT web site says this is possible:

Merge clips

QuickTime Player lets you combine multiple clips into a single movie. Simply drag the clips you want into a movie window — QuickTime Player automatically scales or crops them so they match the dimensions of the movie.

However, when I try to drag the clips from the folder into an open QT movie window, it just keeps moving back to the folder, making no change in the original movie. I am using OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and have found no software updates available for my QT 10.0 - or is this feature only available in QT on Lion (OSX 10.7.x)?

thanks!

Aluminum iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 1 GB

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 1:34 PM

8 replies

Jan 15, 2012 1:22 PM in response to Jon Walker

thanks for the reply...

but what version of QT are you using? I notice that you're using OSX 10.7.2 (Lion) so maybe the QT version in Lion is different from the one in Snow Leopard that I'm using [QT v. 10.0 (131)] - I don't even get a window like the one in the picture you posted - the one in the picture looks like the one I get in iMovie, not QT.

thanks, again, for the reply!

Jan 15, 2012 4:52 PM in response to E. Kennedy

but what version of QT are you using? I notice that you're using OSX 10.7.2 (Lion) so maybe the QT version in Lion is different from the one in Snow Leopard that I'm using [QT v. 10.0 (131)]

I thought that was a given fact since if you go to the top of the page from which you you quoted above, the title reads:

User uploaded file

OS X Lion is our best OS yet. Not just because it’s packed with all these new features. But because of what those features add up to: one amazing Mac experience.

I don't even get a window like the one in the picture you posted - the one in the picture looks like the one I get in iMovie, not QT.

The movie files which I merged together in the QT X.1 Player were iMovie '11 Tutorials from the Apple web site.

User uploaded file

Jan 18, 2012 4:24 PM in response to Jon Walker

"I thought that was a given fact since if you go to the top of the page from which you you quoted above, the title reads:..."

the only reason I quoted that was because I couldn't find any Apple web page related to QT for Snow Leopard and therefore didn't know if that also applied to the QT version for Snow Leopard or if that only applies to the QT version for Lion...but since you say you are using QT X.1, I guess that implies that it doesn't apply to the QT version for Snow Leopard, 10.0...

so, I guess all this comes down to that I won't be able to join clips in the QT version I have, namely the QT version in Snow Leopard (10.0), and that if I want to do that in QT, I'll have to "upgrade" to Lion, which I'm loathe to do because several of my apps that I use frequently will not work in Lion...

but thanks for the replies 🙂

Jan 18, 2012 4:41 PM in response to E. Kennedy

I guess that implies that it doesn't apply to the QT version for Snow Leopard, 10.0...

That is why it is listed as a "new feature..."

so, I guess all this comes down to that I won't be able to join clips in the QT version I have, namely the QT version in Snow Leopard (10.0), and that if I want to do that in QT, I'll have to "upgrade" to Lion, which I'm loathe to do because several of my apps that I use frequently will not work in Lion...

If you don't need masking, layering, or other compositing features and want compatibility with your system's installed standard QT, Pro App, and/or third-party codec component configuration, then you can install the free MPEG Streamclip app. It works the same as QT 7 Pro as far as trimming, merging, and file conversions are concerned—and it is compatible with Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion operating systems.

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2012 3:29 PM in response to Jon Walker

On the QT web page, it says this:

What is QuickTime X?

QuickTime X is the next-generation media technology that powers the audio and video experience in Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion.

Clicking on the link provided results in this:

QuickTime Player

Merge clips

QuickTime Player lets you combine multiple clips into a single movie. Simply drag the clips you want into a movie window — QuickTime Player automatically scales or crops them so they match the dimensions of the movie.

Nothing is said about merging being a "new feature;" it is only if you go to the top of the page that it says:

User uploaded file

OS X Lion is our best OS yet. Not just because it’s packed with all these new features. But because of what those features add up to: one amazing Mac experience.

But many, if not MOST of the items listed directly underneath this heading are apps that are already being used, so how is one to know which specific feature in which specific app is only for Lion, especially since some of the "new" features are already available in these same apps, including full-screen in QT (I didn't go thru the whole list of apps & features, so I'm sure that many are available in Snow Leopard already and a few are Lion-specific, but how is anyone to know which are which unless it is specified on the web page?)

If Apple wanted people to know that clip merging was only available in the QT version that comes with Lion, it could have easily said that. This could also have been made a lot simpler if someone had just said this when I first asked the question 🙂

As for MPEG Streamclip, I am aware of that app, but the QT interface looked much simpler and more elegant, so I would have preferred using QT, if that feature was available to Snow Leopard users.

Jan 19, 2012 5:28 PM in response to E. Kennedy

On the QT web page, it says this:

What is QuickTime X?

QuickTime X is the next-generation media technology that powers the audio and video experience in Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion.

User uploaded file

And what is wrong whith this statement? The page you are referring to here is talking about the QuickTime 10 Player in general and the statements are true. QT X is a totally new version of QT that was introduced with Snow Leopard, upgraded with new features for Lion, and will likely continue to evolve over the next decade. There is no reference to either a specific version of the QT Player or a particular OS on this page.

Clicking on the link provided results in this:

QuickTime Player

Merge clips

Nothing is said about merging being a "new feature;" it is only if you go to the top of the page that it says:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Every reference I see is to Lion OS X. For me this means this page lists new features only available in Lion OS X. If you must be told the features only refer to Lion OS X features, then contact the Apple webmaster and request every reference to Lion OS X be change to something like "Lion OS X but not Snow Leopard OS X or any other previous version of OS X."

But many, if not MOST of the items listed directly underneath this heading are apps that are already being used, so how is one to know which specific feature in which specific app is only for Lion, especially since some of the "new" features are already available in these same apps, including full-screen in QT (I didn't go thru the whole list of apps & features, so I'm sure that many are available in Snow Leopard already and a few are Lion-specific, but how is anyone to know which are which unless it is specified on the web page?)

Once again you are so intent on arguing your case that you are not bothering to read what the page actually says. First of all, the page lists new "features"— not new apps. These new features may appear in new apps or be new features added to older apps. There is nothing that says that any or all apps mentioned on this page are new.

User uploaded file

Did you actually read the description or bother to check out the validity of the description? Every one of the features described here is new—even the continued "Full Screen" video playback when opening/switching to a secondary application. (I.e., Snow Leopard closes the "Full Screen" mode when a secondary app is opened or selected during "Full Screen" playback.

As for MPEG Streamclip, I am aware of that app, but the QT interface looked much simpler and more elegant, so I would have preferred using QT, if that feature was available to Snow Leopard users.

So it's not the fact you can't actually merge the files but that you want to tell Apple which version of which app/OS must contain this feature for you to use. The longer you argue, the more petty your arguments appear to become.

User uploaded file

how do I join clips in QT X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.