Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Something in Window 7 keeps turning off Apple Mobile Device Service?

There is something that is interferring with my Apple Mobile Device Service froming staying on. I have done EVERYTHING down to uninstalling ang re installing all itunes and related products and making sure I covered all folders that my have goodies hiding in them. I can not get my iphone 4s or Ipad to show up. Help??

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1, also Ipad 1

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 2:18 PM

11 replies

Jan 14, 2012 5:23 PM in response to b noir

Yes it fails to stay started. I haved tried manual and started it and Automatic and it says started but when i open itunes and plug in my ipad or iphone I get the same message. I called Dell and they could not help me with the software without a fee and no guarentee I will get the problem fixed. My Dell is only 2 months old and this just started a couple days ago.

Jan 15, 2012 5:54 AM in response to b noir

The message is The iPhone (IPad) can not be used because the Apple Mobile Device Service is not started.

Also I search others with this issue and saw you answered someone regarding foxy proxy causing the problem and I just started using that. Is there a way to set it up on any web browser not using the foxy proxy extension(add-in) or its foxy video extension? Could this resolve my system stopping amds?

Jan 15, 2012 1:51 PM in response to rrc1955

I was actually wondering about Foxyproxy overnight. But I'm used to that producing different error message symptoms. Still, it's been (literally) many months since I've done a FoxyProxy issue, so the symptoms may have changed.

By way of experiment, let's first try just uninstalling FoxyProxy. Does AMDS behave any better then?

Jan 15, 2012 3:05 PM in response to b noir

I already got rid of the foxy proxy extension in Firefox and it did not help. The only thing left is the video utility and I went on their website and got some very complicated directions on uninstalling the video utility. I have not tried that yet since it is very intricate process. If that is all that is left then I can try that. But I need to find a place that foxy proxy will work. I found a way to just add the proxy without the extension/adding. But I am thinking it may be the video utility stopping everything up. :(

Jan 16, 2012 2:30 AM in response to rrc1955

Let's try something else.

In Computer, open local disk C:\

Open the "Program files" folder.

Open the "Common Files" folder.

Open the "Apple" folder.

Open the "Mobile Device Support" folder.

Right-click on the AppleMobileDeviceService.exe file and select "Properties".

In the Compatibility tab, check "run as administrator" and click OK.

Restart the PC. Try connecting a device again. Do you still get the message?

Something in Window 7 keeps turning off Apple Mobile Device Service?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.