1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2013 1:13 AM by Mike Floutier
todd1010 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm helping a friend because he's transferring his company email domain to another company and he wants to backup all of his Apple Mail before hand.

Ideas?

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1
  • 1. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,280 points)

Mailbox Menu>Export Mailbox

• 2. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

thanks, and I would guess that "import mailboxes" is what I'd need to bring them in?

• 3. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

todd1010 wrote:

thanks, and I would guess that "import mailboxes" is what I'd need to bring them in?

Yes it would be, one thing to note, ensure to give the exports descriptive names, otherwise you'll end up with mailbox1 mailbox2 etc.

• 4. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

Maybe I'm not sure what your meaning but are you refering to how the mailbox is named-file wise?

• 5. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

todd1010 wrote:

Maybe I'm not sure what your meaning but are you refering to how the mailbox is named-file wise?

Exactly

• 6. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?
    Brij011 Level 2 Level 2 (150 points)

Csound1 wrote:

This is what I do but it's a laborious process as I have around a dozen mailboxes.

I'm used to Outlook where you can backup a folder (ie mailbox) and include sub-folders. The equivalent doesn't seem posible with Apple Mail.

Could someone tell me whether this is possible or whether there's another easy way to backup multiple folders?

• 7. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

Brij011 wrote:

Csound1 wrote:

This is what I do but it's a laborious process as I have around a dozen mailboxes.

I'm used to Outlook where you can backup a folder (ie mailbox) and include sub-folders. The equivalent doesn't seem posible with Apple Mail.

Could someone tell me whether this is possible or whether there's another easy way to backup multiple folders?

Time Machine

• 8. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

Thanks for the reply. I use time machine but I like to keep two backups, one with Time Machine and one manual on two seperate EHDs. This may seem paranoid but I've had my fingers burnt before.

So to repeat the question in a slightly different way. Could you tell me whether it's possible to backup a mailbox and sub-mailboxes in one operation or whether there's another easy way to manually backup multiple folders?

• 9. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

Brij011 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I use time machine but I like to keep two backups, one with Time Machine and one manual on two seperate EHDs. This may seem paranoid but I've had my fingers burnt before.

So to repeat the question in a slightly different way. Could you tell me whether it's possible to backup a mailbox and sub-mailboxes in one operation or whether there's another easy way to manually backup multiple folders?

No

• 10. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

Try selecting multiple mailboxes and choosing export, this works for me (be sensible, a few at a time) 4 to 5 large mailboxes took 30 minutes or so to complete. Allow them to complete, wait until the word 'partial' is removed from the file name.

• 11. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

Thanks, this worked perfectly. I can't believe I didn't try it before.

• 12. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?

You're welcome.

• 13. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?
    dave3122 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just FYI because it sounds like the objective has been met. But if you ever need automated backup of Mail, the best thing I've come across is MailSteward (just add ".com" and you're there). As the old informercial line goes, "Just set it, and forget." I've been using it for years, and it has saved my posterior on several occasions.

• 14. Re: How to backup Apple Mail?
    gausina Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Last week I had my IMAP server full. I used the export mailbox function on smart mailboxes and it was working perfectly. I could create one archive file per year, then delete the files from imap server and re-import the mbox files to keep a local access of my old messages within mail. Really convenient and quick way to archive your mails with all the filtering possibilities of smart boxes.

1 2 Previous Next