Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G4, cannot boot anything below leopard

Hi all,

I have a quicksilver 2001, dual 800. I installed an AGP nvidia geforce 6200. The software requirement for the card is10.4.3. I have 10.5.8, 10.4.11, and 9.2.2 installed on this machine. since installation of the card, only leopard boots. tiger kernal panics (shows me the picture of the power button and tells me to restart) within seconds of the gar apple. I tried booting off of the tiger install dvd, and panther install cd. same thing happens with those. it seems only leopard likes this. I am in need of classic so i need to be ble to use something older than leopard. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

(btw the card works perfectly in leopard)

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Dual 800mhz QuickSilver,160gb,1.5gb

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 7:03 PM

If the install discs are not later than 10.4.3, you cannot boot to them.

Some builds of 10.4.3 still may not work, so the later the version the better.

Panther will never work with the Geforce 6200 installed.

Will your 10.4.11 drive boot to Safe mode? Hold Shift while starting.

9 replies

Jan 15, 2012 6:48 PM in response to darthrevan945

This is the retail dvd. That means it will install on ANY Mac with a G3, G4, or G5 ppc processor along with Xcode 2. (256 megs of RAM min)

The dvd is black with the X on it and has this number on it - 2Z691-5305-A

But I'm not positive that wasn't info released when the earliest G5s were released, but should by all rights work on any QS!???

Might see this...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2234885?start=0&tstart=0

Jan 16, 2012 1:40 AM in response to BDAqua

yes i know, but its not installing thats the problem. The installation currently on the drive is fine, because i can boot it on another computer using firewire target disk mode. for whatever reason that video card isnt working on anything below leopard.

and as to that retail disc being used on any ppc mac, if a mac comes with an OS newer than whats on an install disc, it wont boot it.

PowerMac G4, cannot boot anything below leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.