Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help creating NetRestore Images!

Hey,

I am trying to create a NetRestore image to image other Macs on my network and I am hopping someone here can point me in the direction on how to do it. I did a clean install of OS X Lion on one the iMacs on my network and installled applications and got the system exactally the way I want it. I am ready to image, but I'm not sure how to get the image into System Image Utility on my Server.

I read somethings online which mentioned Disk Utiltiy or Carbon Copy Cloner. Would I boot off the recovery partion, choose disk utilty and then click on "Macintosh HD" and then chose new image and save it on a firewire drive? Would it be a good idea to save the image right to the server machine via the AFP file sharing or would I be better off saving to an external USB drive?

I also saw Carbon Copy Cloner was mentioned. I tried using it with the sourse as Macintosh HD and having it save the image to an external drive. Then I plugged the external drive into my server machine and mounted the drive. The probelm was after I mounted the image and opened up System Image Utility, I didn't see the image there in the sidebar? What am I doing wrong? Also can I make an image on and iMac and restore it to a MacBook pro or will there be a problem? Thanks for your help in advance!

Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Snow Leopard Server

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 6:39 PM

3 replies

Jan 16, 2012 8:11 AM in response to runnerboy967

You could use Disk Utility to create an image of the volume, and copy the image over to your server. You could also boot the source computer in Target Disk Mode, plug it into the server using a firewire cable, and image it directly. This is easiest, if all of the systems involved have firewire. Trying to save the the image to an AFP share during creation isn't a good idea, and will fail due to bandwidth and permissions issues. Copying the completed image to and AFP share is fine.

Assuming you've created a 10.6.8 source, your image should boot on any 10.6 capable system. The caveat is that, for NetRestore to work properly, you need to use the 10.6.8 *Combo* updater to perform the upgrade. If you upgraded from 10.6.6 or earlier, you've used the combo updater. If you updated from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8, you most likely haven't.

Help creating NetRestore Images!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.