Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer corrupted after partiton

So... I have been expirienced with using bootcamp before, and just recently decided to increase the partition size of bootcamp, so I backed up everything, deleted the partition, etc, and started a new, much larger one (about 130gb). I knew it would take a while, so i came back 45 minutes later, decided to open up another application, and BAM! Computer completely frozen.. I let it just sit there for 10 minutes, hoping that It would sort things out itself, but It didn't.. so I force restarted it. I knew it would not end well.. I started up the computer, and it started up as if it were trying to go into bootcamp, but it said it was an invalid disk. soo.... I started up my computer on the macintosh side.. and well.. my computer somehow thinks that the partition DID go through. It only have 30gb left on my harddrive (130gb in limbo somewhere) and boot camp assistant says that it can't recognise another partition, and I could If I wanted to make another partition with 30 gb.. So.. then I went into disk utility.. said there was no other partition, so I decided to verify the disk, and it said almost right away that the

"Invalid volume free block count"

"The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired."

etc.. So, I put in the Installation disk, and booted into it. My computer was very, very loud at this point, and ended with the grey screen, with the message of doom, which needed me to force restart my computer. Beautiful. So, what now? I want my 130 gb back! haha.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 10:23 PM

5 replies

Jan 14, 2012 10:38 PM in response to Bluefrost

I have a clone of my OSX partition. If the partition map corrupts, I use the clone to reformat the internal disk and re-clone the data back on.

Or if I had only a TimeMachine backup, I could restore an OSX then use the TimeMachine to get back all of my programs and data.

BootCamp sometimes kills the entire partition map, so OSX backups are critical prior to BootCamp.

Jan 14, 2012 10:46 PM in response to steve359

Oh I see what you mean.. Would have been beautiful if I had reminded myself to backup all the stuff before partitioning.. It just usually does not corrupt my entire Macintosh normally!! Oh well. My Dad says that he has a back up plan for restoring my computer, since I rarely use Time Machine, or backup ALL of my files.. oh well.. Lesson learned, fate!

Computer corrupted after partiton

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.