Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving FCS to my new Computer

Hello,

I'm having a little problem here. I had a MacBook Pro with FCS on it, but it's logic board crapped out. I bought a new iMac and put my old Hard drive in an enclosure so i can access it.

Problem is now I need my FCS but, I just moved and lost the first install disk. I have the rest of them and I also have the software still on my old hard drive.. I just can't open it and can't install it. I have my serial number and everything just missing one darn disk.

Does anyone know how I would be able to install it on my new computer? Maybe i can download the data on the first disk somewhere?

Any help would be appriciated.

Regards,

Spencer

Final Cut Pro 7, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 5:14 AM

7 replies

Jan 16, 2012 9:22 PM in response to ksjones

I had something similar happen a few years ago. I lost my DVDSP disk. I called Apple, proved to them who I was and that I had paid for the software, they sent me a replacement disc. I don't know if they were supposed to, but they did. Then I found the one I thought I had lost. ;-)

I suppose this is where Time Machine would've come in handy.

Migration Assistant works okay. It's not perfect, but it would prolly work well enough to get you over the hump.

Good luck.

Jan 17, 2012 8:08 AM in response to Brie-Eating Surrender Monkey

The problem with migration assistant is that it may cause problems with the fcp install that may not show up immediately. A clean install of OS and FCP is the ideal way to make sure your system is set up properly (and then cloning your startup drive so you can restore your system to it's ideal state if things go south. https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2494).

Troubleshooting fcp can be extremely difficult so knowing you started off with a good, solid install is the ideal way to work. That said, for the OP, migration assistant might get him back to work quickly.

Moving FCS to my new Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.