Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos won't sync to devices with iPhoto enhancements like cropping

So here's what I'm doing: I'll take photos with my iPhone 4S, import to my Macbook with iPhoto, make adjustments and enhacements using iPhoto like cropping and color enhancements, then I'll add these enhanced photos to albums, then I'll try to sync the iPhoto album to my iPhone or iPad. After syncing, I can view the album photos on my devices but the photos will sometimes look like the original photo from my iPhone instead of the enhanced as it looks in iPhoto.

This only happens to some photos. And it only happens on syncing; if I set the album as an Apple TV screen saver or publish an album to Facebook through iPhoto, the photos publish fine with enhancements intact.

What's going on?

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 12:00 PM

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for the iPod Photo Cache.

Trash it. Start iPhoto and try sync again.

Regards

TD

10 replies

Mar 10, 2012 12:04 AM in response to Fbbertero

Yes, how about telling us what your actual issue is?

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on seven different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary from version to version and OS to OS. So before anyone can help, they need information to work with. Basic stuff:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. What were you doing when the problem arose?

- Did it ever work properly?

- Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

Anything else you can think of that might allow someone else to understand your issue.

With this kind of information somebody can develop a starting point for troubleshooting the issue.

Posts that consist of "iPhoto doesn't work. Help" or "iPhoto won't print" or "Suddenly I have no photos!!!!!!!!!!" mean that any helper is simply guessing. More information means you get better assistance. (And no, more exclamation marks do not get help faster or make your issue seem urgent. They just make it seem like you have a stuck key 😉 )

Mar 10, 2012 8:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

OK, so here is the overall situation:

• - I am running my MacBook Pro on Lion latest update available as of March 10, 2012 – 10.7.3.
  • - Also on my MacBook Pro I am running iPhoto 11 v 9.2.2 (629.40)
  • - I am running on my iPhone4 and my iPad2 iOS 5.1.

So, as far as I can tell I am updated to the latest Apple software.

Now, here is what is happening – whenever I take pics from my iPhone 4, my Nikon D70 or my Nikon CoolPix 7500, I import them into iPhoto. Then, I may choose to enhance, crop or adjust these pics. Whenever I do so, these changes do not always synch to my iPad or iPhone, whether be it in the Album view or Events view.

Also, I just played with a bit more and it seems to be a random event, in some pics the changes sync and in others they do not.

For the most part, changes do carry through to the iPad and to the iPone.

Additionally, I have had this problem since I have switched over to the Apple products….I mean I have never seen this work properly and was hoping for a software fix, which has not come through. No error messages, nothing. Just doesn’t work! Sorry for the exclamation mark…;-)

I am now getting frustrated and am looking for solutions in these discussion forums….next step is to contact Apple, as I am beginning to question the “It Just Works” statement that Jobs used to make and that Cook made this week….

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Mar 10, 2012 10:32 AM in response to Yer_Man

Ok - this is what happened:

1. imported 13 pics I took on my iPhone…
  2. made changes to a few of them on my iMac
  3. synched the new library with the 13 photos and the DID show up adjusted as in my Mac.

So this seems to have worked….now, what would you suggest as next steps? What I am thinking is - How do I get ALL the pics in my old library (with the mods I have been making that are all on my Mac) and place them in a new library (provided you believe this will fix the synching issue I have).

Pls let me know…..

Mar 10, 2012 11:29 AM in response to Fbbertero

The secret is to repair or rebuild the damaged library.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Jul 2, 2012 8:42 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have been having an occassional problem with only some pix in Events are synching to iPad or iPhone. Since I always make a back up of my edited albums to SmugMug or Flickr, I redownloaded the missing photos from either service and merged them with the original event. Then when I sync to iPhone or iPad all the pix show up. Of course, I have duplicates on the Event in iPhoto but no duplicates on iPhone or iPad

Photos won't sync to devices with iPhoto enhancements like cropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.