Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does microsoft office 2011 work with lion

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 10:56 AM

7 replies

Oct 16, 2012 2:35 AM in response to Kurt Lang

That's not my experience across the board. I use Outlook and since upgrading from a Macbook pro to a retina pro (with the latest OS) I cannot get Outlook to work, it freezes when I try to add my email accounts info. As another peron has already written, adice to use the equivalent apple software is not helpful because I am a small business dealing mostly with clients using pc's and despite what we are constantly told about compatibility, the apple software is NOT compatible, hence the need for the Microsoft office suite. I have a back problem and bought the new retina macbook to have a lighter weight machine to cart around.......at the moment, it's barely been out of its box as without email, it's not worth using. Why can't Apple and Microsoft grow up and work together to ensure thier products work properly together??

Oct 16, 2012 6:36 AM in response to lynfromblackpool

Well, you make a common complaint. It's not working for you, so the software must be junk. Yes, there are users having trouble with Office in Lion and Mountain Lion, but they are a very small percentage to those who are having no issues at all. The same could be said for Photoshop, QuickBooks, Avid, etc. It doesn't matter which one you pick, there will be some who are having problems running it. Mac, Windows, UNIX, Linux also doesn't matter. They all hear the same complaints.

Every so often, an issue is caused only by certain hardware combinations. Sometimes by a badly written .kext driver installed by third party software. They can be sometimes be very, very difficult to track down.

I was having an issue with The Adobe CS6 Master Collection. Saving files would not always generate a desktop icon or preview. Every so often, saving the file to our server would result in either a, Could not save ".afpDeletedxxx" because write access was not granted., or the same message, but the actual file name name where the other message had .afpDeletedxxx. In either case, the file on the server would be deleted and you'd have to save it again immediately with Save As.

I partly tracked it down and fixed the issue by spending a lot of time erasing, then installing different versions of OS X on a test drive with all of its updates, followed by the CS 6 suite with all of its updates. In all cases, the errors returned after installing the Adobe software. Reinstall the OS after the CS6 suite and its updates, and the issues were gone.

So, did that prove the Adobe software was at fault? No, not really. Good circumstantial evidence, but without really being able to say, "This group of files installed by CS6 damaged the OS.", circumstantial is all it is. OS X itself could be to blame as it may have incorrectly registered the new app and its file associations. Reinstalling the OS would force it to write a clean file.

So who's to blame in your case? You can't just say MS without really knowing that's where the problem is. For what it's worth, I've been using Office 2011 since it was released without any issues, other than Outlook was badly in need of the updates it got a bit later (many confirmed features missing or not working as expected).

Oct 16, 2012 6:53 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I think that's slightly unfair, I haven't said the MS software is at fault, I've said I can't get it to work on my new laptop and have asked if there are compatability issues with the new Apple's OS and Office 2011. I don't have a clue what can be going wrong, it was all working fine on my macbook pro with Snow Leopard and the same setup is not working with Mountain Lion on the retina, so given that it seems that there are others out there having issues, it's not unreasonable to make the point that Apple and Microsoft aren't working together as well as they could to resolve compatability issues. From my end of the telescope, that's how it looks, after all, all I'm guilty of is buying more up to date kit and expecting stuff to work on it. The only reason I upgraded from Office 2008 was because I couldn't get it to stop closing down every few seconds with 'a problem'. I thnk I'm entitled to feel aggreived about it, but I was hoping someone might have had an answer that would have helped me solve the problem, rather than ticking me off. I thought the forum was supposed to help people........

Oct 16, 2012 7:16 AM in response to lynfromblackpool

I think that's slightly unfair, I haven't said the MS software is at fault, I've said I can't get it to work on my new laptop

Yes, I understand that. I was pointing out that we see this a lot in these forums. Not all, but in most cases the issue is with that particular user's system.

I thought the forum was supposed to help people...

That is also true of course, but difficult to do when the info given boils down to, "It doesn't work." What doesn't work? What error messages are you getting, if any? Are the apps crashing, or just not responding? Have your checked Microsoft's Outlook for Mac forums to see if this is a common issue with Lion? Have they posted any possible solutions or noted confirmed issues? Have you updated Office 2011 to its current release? One of the improvements in the 14.2.4 release is support for Apple's Retina displays.

No one can help without proper and more detailed information.

Oct 16, 2012 2:00 PM in response to lynfromblackpool

...since upgrading from a Macbook pro to a retina pro (with the latest OS) I cannot get Outlook to work, it freezes when I try to add my email accounts info...

The latest OS is 10.8.2. You've posted in the Lion (OS 10.7.x) forum.

...I don't have a clue what can be going wrong, it was all working fine on my macbook pro with Snow Leopard and the same setup is not working with Mountain Lion on the retina, ...The only reason I upgraded from Office 2008 was because I couldn't get it to stop closing down every few seconds with 'a problem'...

Different operating systems canNOT be the "same setup."

In my original installation of Office 2011 on a 2007 MBP with OS 10.6.8, I followed the guidelines Tips for a Successful Install. In launching Outlook 2011 for the first time, it recognized that I had Entourage 2004 and I was chose the option to have all the data transferred to Outlook 2011. While that was well over a year ago, I'm fairly certain that I did not need to manually set up my multitude of existing email accounts. Subsequently, I've added new accounts. A couple of months ago, I got a new mid-2012 MBP (non-retina) with OS 10.7.4. I used Pondini's advice , which I found here in the Apple Support Community for OS 10.7, to setup the new MBP from the old MBP with Setup Assistant. Afterwards, I manually installed my applications. I am certain that I did not need to manually setup any email accounts when I launched Outlook 2011.

That said, if you did not fix the problem that you were experiencing with Office 2008 (and more specifically Entourgage 2008) but migrated that data to your new rMBR, then your problem may lie within the old data. You have not provided information on how you installed Office 2011, if your setup of Outlook is as new or datea ported from Entourage, and what troubleshooting steps you have tried. As Kurt Lang suggested, the Microsoft Community would be best with your specific issues as stated.

HTH 😉

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.