Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot boot up

Had a recent directory issue due to not unmounting external drives. Couldn't Run DiscWarrior as startup disc. got to run it and rebuild directory while in target mode. Could't restart it. Did an OS reinstall from a laptop while MacPro in Target mode. Can this as installed through the laptop but I cannot get the MacPro to boot up - it just goes to the Apple icon with the spinning wheel (not the Pizza wheel). Any suggestions please?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 5:37 PM

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

7 replies

Jan 16, 2012 10:42 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc. Moved things on with a Combo Upgrade (in target mode) which allowed a full boot. External drives - Sonnet JBOD - mounted and all looked fine until I inserted a new drive to initialise. All drives -old and new - now fail to mount. Disc Utility won't mount them. Again I cannot run Disc Warrior from the drive as a 'c' key boot doesn't complete. I did run Warrior from a laptop with the MacPro in Target mode. No help..

Much hair on floor!

Jan 16, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Brendanmacneill

When cross-cloning and updating from another dis-similar Mac, the SOURCE of the software being moved is very important.

Software that was shipped on the disk of a new Mac does NOT contain all drivers, and will not boot all Macs.

Software that came from a "Full Retail" source, such as a "Full Retail" Installer DVD, or the current 10.7 Lion download WILL Boot any Mac.

So it is possible, depending on exactly where your MacBook Pro image originated, to have effectively copied a "MacBook Pro ONLY" image onto your Mac Pro tower. That will never boot because it does not contain all the drivers needed to boot a Mac Pro tower.

Jan 16, 2012 11:03 AM in response to Brendanmacneill

The Disk Warrior DVD contains a certain version of Mac OS X. That version may be too old to boot some computers.

If you wish to pursue this, post more details of which Mac model (shipping year and speed or MacPro 4,1 designation). And figure out what version of Mac OS X is on that Disk Warrior DVD by booting it up on a Mac that it WILL boot on, and using about this Mac to find out what Mac OS X it is.

Cannot boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.