Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you delete photos from one album after you've put them in another? The only option given is to "delete everywhere?"

How do you delete photos from an album once you'ver moved them to another? The only option I get is delete everywhere?

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 10:02 AM

Answer: in the album, click on the picture, and once it is opened, be brave and click on the trash can. You will then be presented with an option to either completely delete the picture from your phone OR to delete the picture from the album. Not intuitive, no?

Source: O'Reilly's "iPhone the missing manual", pp. 273 - 274. Even in this book, the answer is not in the section with "albums". Apple would be wise to produce a manual, even something downloadable or printable.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2017 10:02 AM in response to eggman23

Answer: in the album, click on the picture, and once it is opened, be brave and click on the trash can. You will then be presented with an option to either completely delete the picture from your phone OR to delete the picture from the album. Not intuitive, no?

Source: O'Reilly's "iPhone the missing manual", pp. 273 - 274. Even in this book, the answer is not in the section with "albums". Apple would be wise to produce a manual, even something downloadable or printable.

Sep 19, 2017 4:06 PM in response to eggman23

I need to be able to move pictures from, "All Photos", put them in a different album. And be able to delete the originals from, "All Photos". And not have them also deleted from the new Album I have created for them. How expensive does my $1249 iPad Pro have to get before it is able to do that simple task???

Sep 19, 2017 5:05 PM in response to C0K

I need to be able to move pictures from, "All Photos", put them in a different album. And be able to delete the originals from, "All Photos".

That is not how photos are managed. *All* the pictures on your device are always stored in the "all photos" album.

When you "put them" in another album, they do not get moved from the "all photos" album. A link/shortcut is placed in the new album that actually displays the original photo, not a copy.

Think of Gmail. All your mail is one big folder/inbox called "All Mail' When you attach a label to a message like "from John" that message is not moved from "All Mail" to "from John". When you switch to the From John folder, the mail is actually still in the All Mail folder and there is only one copy of it.

Or think of a file filter. When you create and use an album, it's like saying... "show me all the photos I have placed in the collection (album) called SUMMER 2017"

Jan 15, 2012 2:27 PM in response to eggman23

Because photos added to an existing or new album created on the iPhone include a pointer to the original photos stored in the Camera Roll. The photos are not duplicated or copied. If you delete a photo from the Camera Roll that is also in an album or in multiple albums, the photo will be removed from the album or albums as well.

The Camera Roll is for temporary storage. Photos in the Camera Roll can and should be imported by your computer as with any other digital camera. You can create albums on your computer for select photos imported from your iPhone's Camera Roll along with creating albums for other photos on your computer followed by transferring the albums to your iPhone.

The option to create albums on the iPhone is for those who may want to show a slide show of select photos in the Camera Roll without having to go through all photos in the Camera Roll. It is not designed to be permanent.

how do you delete photos from one album after you've put them in another? The only option given is to "delete everywhere?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.