Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Greyed Out Wifi

I have an iPhone 4 that I dropped partway in water. Due to the wetness, I turned it off ASAP and then threw it in a bag of rice. I waited a day and then powered it on again. It seemed to be partly working; I could sync to my PC and also could faintly make out the screen. For some reason, I decided to go ahead and update from iOS 5.0 to 5.0.1 while the phone was down. This went fine, although my screen was dark so I couldn't verify very much. I then took my phone apart and placed it in tupperware with rice. I waited another day and everything appears to be working, except for the wifi (greyed out) / bluetooth (can enter menu but it never finds it). I had read that some people have had issues with wifi after updating to 5.0.1, but I am also thinking it could be a hardware issue due to possible water damage or reassembly. On a side note, I have not jailbroken.

I was wondering if anyone here could provide me with some troubleshooting instructions. I have reset the network settings, hard restarted, and restored my iPhone to no avail. My wifi address is N/A, and my bluetooth has an address, but I can't turn it on. I have an IMEI and my modem firmware is 04.11.08.

Thanks,

Brett

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 2:30 PM

7 replies

Jan 15, 2012 8:47 PM in response to diesel vdub

Another bump hoping to catch someone's eye~

@diesel: My phone was dry enough to work. As a matter of fact, everything except the wifi/bluetooth is functional. I can make calls, check email over 3G, and do most of the vital functions of a phone (just not on wifi). I figured it would be fine because the flash LED was constantly on before putting it into the rice due to the moisture shorting out pins. After it dried, I recharged it and the LED was not on. As an electrical engineer, I understand the risks of moisture and how easily chips can blow. And as far as a replacement goes, I will be getting a 4S in March when my contract expires. I would like to use the phone for some home automation via wifi, so fixing it would be convenient.

If anyone has encountered a similar problem, any advice (such as issues that could arise from semi-careless reassembly) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Jan 13, 2013 4:12 PM in response to brettspark

I have the same problem with the wifi .... the greyed button ....

and it was from a day to another .... not because of uptade i presume ....

but his a problem that ***** .... i dont want a new iphone .... i want this one fixed .... now ... have to gon on line on the provider's shop , take all of the data, rrrr **** ...

😠

iPhone 4 Greyed Out Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.