Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX creating multiple versions of my external drive

Recently, Leopard has been creating multiple versions of my external drive, i.e. Drive, Drive 1, Drive 2.

This has never happened before, and I usually keep it attached. Could someone please help me? I refuse to keep re-directing where files need to be found, etc. Thanks!

MacBook, 13" Aluminum Unibody (Late 2008 ver.)

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 3:43 PM

1 reply

Jan 15, 2012 4:09 PM in response to ReiNocturna

If the OS loses a drive when it thinks it would be there, it'll make those files.

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

Perhaps the power supply on the external, or the case, or drive is going out.

OSX creating multiple versions of my external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.