Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using AFP from Lion to Lion

I have 2 computers, 1 iMac and 1 Mac Mini, that I upgraded to Lion. When I try to turn on file sharing using AFP, I cannot connect using either Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server or through the Finder window. The only way I can get it working us by enabling SMB, but I don't want to enable SMB. I'm using Macs here and I don't want to have to turn on Windows sharing just to be able to connect between Macs. I've done a lot of reading online about unsharing home directories (done, didn't help), turning on SMB (done, but don't want), and connecting non-Mac devices (mine are both Macs), but I really just want AFP to work! They're both Lion machines. Is there any way to make AFP work between 2 Lion machines?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 7:06 PM

14 replies

Jan 16, 2012 9:53 AM in response to etresoft

It doesn't even get to the point of asking me for a password. It just says "The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again." The name / IP address is correct and my network connection is fine. Still nothing. The "Connect As" button shows up on finder for about 3 seconds before it disappears. So, I never get prompted for a username or password.

Jan 18, 2012 6:13 PM in response to Diana1138

Hey there Diana...

Kind of hard to help here without knowing a lot more about your network setup... You seem to be pretty knowledgable about file sharing and how it should work, so forgive me if I'm giving you things to try you've already done or that seem elementary.

Based on the fact that your Sharing prefs don't stick, I'd suggest heading to the main Library/Preferences folder on the server, and delete the com.apple.AppleFileServer files(there should be 2), and re-start.

Getting your prefes to "stick" on the server side seems like the first problem to solve, as they no doubt are causing problems with getting File Sharing to really be truned on.

Past that, I'd open the Network Utility in the Client Mac, and see if you can Ping the IP address of the Server. This should also tell you if one is even capable of reaching the other..

Good Luck...

Jan 19, 2012 1:52 PM in response to Jeffrey Lee

Thank you for your suggestions, Jeffrey. I did as you suggested and deleted the files and rebooted. I turned Windows File Sharing off before I rebooted and when I logged back in, I tried enabling AFP. It started saying "0 connections", but when I tried to connect from the remote machine, AFP turned itself off, meaning the toggle button was off again and I got the error on the client computer saying it could not reach the server.

My network setup consists of a router and multiple computers and other IP devices. The Mac mini is actually usually only accessed remotely via Screen Sharing (which by the way always works). I know I can get to the mini because of screen sharing working so I know the computer is on the network. Both computers are wired into the router so no wireless involved. There are no firewalls on and no anti-virus software on either computer. The server computer is logged is using a standard account, but even being logged in as an administrator doesn't help. The client computer is always logged in as an administrator. The user accounts are different, the client having an account with my name and the server having a more generic administrator account name and a "Media Center" standard account that is automatically logged in. The standard account does not have a password, but the admin account does. I want to use the admin account to mount the volume, but it doesn't even prompt me for a password because AFP turns off before I get a chance to.

Jan 19, 2012 8:34 PM in response to Diana1138

Sorry I can't be of more help..

Just to be sure, the files that should have been deleted would have been on your server, I assume your Mini.

No doubt you've tried that and it didnt' work. The fac that the server's AFP sharing prefs won't stick is clealry the issue.

Last idea... try creating a new admin user on your server, log in, turn on AFP Sharing, and see what happens...

My guess is it wont' work... I assume you've done the usuall... repair permissions...

It's gotta be someting on the server side that's causing the problem..

Jan 21, 2012 5:18 AM in response to etresoft

I didn't want to have to do it, but I did restore from the recovery partition and viola! AFP works again! I'm glad this computer wasn't that complicated to restore because had I needed to do that on the iMac, it would have been painful. I guess there is something squirrelly about updating from Snow Leopard to Lion. Maybe an incompatible library or something. All I know is that I had to erase the hard drive and start over. Thanks to all for the assistance!

Using AFP from Lion to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.