Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a difference between "Spotlight" & the "Search" field?

Hi,

In Lion, is there a difference between searching for a file using SPOTLIGHT . . . or the SEARCH field in the upper left of a folder (if you click your Hard drive.)?

For example, I have a MacBook Pro with a 2nd hard drive inside. If I don't "Spotlight" the 2nd hard drive - will the SEARCH field then still work? Or if I DO SPOTLIGHT it - is it using the same search mechanism using "Find" and "Spotlight"?

I'm curious how this works? Thanks very much,

Larry

Macbook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPad, Mac Pro, iPhone & Newton!

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 8:29 PM

No, just different ways of instituting searches. Finder searches provide an easy way of defining additional search criteria.

6 replies

Jan 15, 2012 8:35 PM in response to Kappy

Well THAT was fast!! Thank you very much. Just to confirm - if I wanted to find a file samed "so and so" - and I have NOT "Spotlighted" the drive - if I open the drive and type the above file name in the SEARCH window - will it find that file (even though the drive was NOT Spotlighted)?

I think your answer is YES!

If so, why does Apple have "Spotlight"? Thanks, Kappy

Jan 15, 2012 8:40 PM in response to Larry Cohen1

No. The drive must be indexed in order for Spotlight to find anything. A Finder search uses Spotlight. As i said previously there is no difference except how you institute the search. You can search using the Spotlight icon in the menubar, by pressing COMMAND-F in the Finder, or by entering a search term in the Finder's search field. All three use Spotlight.

If you wish to search for something without indexing the drive then use EasyFind 4.8.1 or iFileX.

Jan 15, 2012 8:46 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you, Kappy. NOW I understand it.

Except one little thing . . . sorry, then what did you mean when you wrote:

"Finder searches provide an easy way of defining additional search criteria." When I look at the FINDER search vs the SPOTLIGHT search - they look the same?

Am I missing something? Thanks very much - I think most people don't know this!

Larry

Jan 15, 2012 8:51 PM in response to Larry Cohen1

Using COMMAND-F or Finder's search field provides a window like this:

User uploaded file

If you click on the Kind dropdown menu you will see:

User uploaded file

You can select different search criteria for locating files. If you then select Other you will see:

User uploaded file

You can then check the different search attributes you wish to add to the previously shown dropdown menu thus providing many different search criteria.

Is there a difference between "Spotlight" & the "Search" field?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.