Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update iPhoto in Mac App store or Software update... Help!

I am stuck in iPhoto 9.1.5 Using Lion iPhoto purchased through mac app store. Please help me

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 11:20 PM

Install the OS X Lion Update 10.7.2 Client Combo

Then restart your Mac, launch the App Store and try updating iPhoto.

It's ok to do this even though you are already running Lion v10.7

If that didn't help quit the App Store.

Go to ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore

Move the Updates file from the com.apple.appstore folder to the Trash.

Now go to ~/Library/Preferences. Move the com.apple.appstore.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Trash.

Relaunch the App Store, try again.

~ (Tilde) character represents the Home folder.

For Lion: To find the Home folder in OS X Lion, open the Finder, hold the Option key, and choose Go > Library

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2012 11:20 PM in response to bseiden

Install the OS X Lion Update 10.7.2 Client Combo

Then restart your Mac, launch the App Store and try updating iPhoto.

It's ok to do this even though you are already running Lion v10.7

If that didn't help quit the App Store.

Go to ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore

Move the Updates file from the com.apple.appstore folder to the Trash.

Now go to ~/Library/Preferences. Move the com.apple.appstore.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Trash.

Relaunch the App Store, try again.

~ (Tilde) character represents the Home folder.

For Lion: To find the Home folder in OS X Lion, open the Finder, hold the Option key, and choose Go > Library

Jan 16, 2012 8:43 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn,

I installed the update and restarted, no go.

Removed the updates com.apple.appstore to the trash and the com.apple.appstore.plist and the com.apple.appstore.plist.lockfile to the trash and restarted the app store, it still gives me error 18 and says that this software has to be updated via software update and software update says all apps are up to date. Any other ideas, I'm feeling pretty stuck here.

Feb 3, 2012 6:42 AM in response to bseiden

Originally Posted by rk25123 User uploaded file

Hi there, that's kinda strange, because I too have the latest MacBook Air and for me (and should also for you since iLife came pre-installed) the update downloaded and installed flawlessly via App Store, in the updates section (not in the purchased one). Maybe it's just a bug, Mac App Store seems a Beta to me for how laggy and buggy it is. Usually when it says something about another account it's 'cause you have pirated software and the App Store receipt inside it is indeed connected to another account, making it impossible to download the update. If that's your case what you have to do is to right click on iPhoto and select "show package content", open the "Content" folder and delete the "_MASReceipt" folder inside it, now the update will show up on Software Update.

A user posted on another site a way to solve this.

It worked for me, hope it helps.

Jan 22, 2013 4:32 PM in response to bseiden

If you originally installed iPhoto from an iLife DVD, or if it came preinstalled on a Mac that shipped with installation discs, then you can't update it in the App Store. Depending on what version it is, there may be an updater you can use on the Apple Support website. Otherwise you'll have to purchase iPhoto from the App Store.

Jun 11, 2013 6:53 AM in response to bseiden

I've had a similar experience. Moving from one MacBook Pro to another the migration assistant copied everything; it was mighty impressive!

But it also copied the old version of iPhoto and iMovie. This was discovered by the genius at the Genius bar in Buchanan St Glasgow (thank you!).

The solution seems to be to find both the installed copy and the old copy and move both to trash. Then you'll get the install tab in the purchase section of the App Store. Install it from there. And that should be it.

Also, you may have to remove the icons from the icon bar and then put the newly installed ones in there.

Job done.

Can't update iPhoto in Mac App store or Software update... Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.